Market Share %? Does anyone really know?

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #1  

Bob_Skurka

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the 4th largest selling brand is, or the 5th, or the 6th . . . and to follow that up, what is the market share of each brand?

I repeated it, but I don't know if it is true, so I'm looking for the truth. The numbers I've heard for CUTS under 50hp sold in the US are:

Kubota 50% of all sales
JD 25% of all sales
NH 15% of all sales
Combined the "big 3" control roughly 90% of all sales.

Who is #4? I suspect it might be JINMA but because it is sold under so many different brand names that nobody would actually have good number.

But where is Massey?
Where is Mahnidra? (I've been hearing the "big 3" consider Mahindra to be their biggest threat)
Where is Cub Cadet? (5000 to 8000 series CUTS)
Where is Kioti?
Where is Case/Farmall?
Where is Branson? Century? Zetor? Eicher? PowerTrac? Steiner? LG? KAMA?

I am only curious about NEW tractor sales, not grey market imports or sales of used machines. Anyone actually have an idea? Maybe some of our dealer members might have an idea? Is there any truth to the often repeated "big 3" numbers? Is it possible that Jinma could actually be #4? While Kioti is far more popular on TBN, I hear that Mahindra sells more units than Kioit in the US (but I can't find many dealers who sell Mahindra). Century & Branson seem to have loyal followers but negligable market share. And why do some established brands like Massey and Case/Farmall have such low sales numbers despite the fact that they have been around longer than most everyone else?

I'm NOT intersted in debating quality, value or features. I'm just curious about actual sales.

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #2  
Who is #4? I suspect it might be JINMA but because it is sold under so many different brand names that nobody would actually have good number

Were that the case, then you have CASE-IH-NH, Kioti-Cub Cadets, Massey Ferguson is sold by AGCO, so then you's have the AGCO brands lumped in. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

When I was a kid, I only saw FORD, John Deere and International Harvester. Once in a while you would find an Oliver, White, Allis or Massey.

Back in the early days of tractors, everybody who owned a machine shop built a tractor. There were lots of orphans out there after they thinned out. Now, it seems like the brand choices are widespread again. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know?
<font color="red">
Who is #4? I suspect it might be JINMA but because it is sold under so many different brand names that nobody would actually have good number

Were that the case, then you have CASE-IH-NH, Kioti-Cub Cadets, Massey Ferguson is sold by AGCO, so then you's have the AGCO brands lumped in. </font>

I think it is fair to lump all the Jinma's under one total, simply because they are all the same basic tractor and there is no real organized marketing for them there are simply independent companies (some of them are large like Homier or Northern). But the reality is they are all the same machine. There being no cohesive marketing I lump them together.

Regarding the other brands, I'd have no arguement about lumping CASE/Farmall in with the New Hollands. But you couldn't really call a Cub Cadet a Kioti for the purposes of my question simply because only the 8000 series Cubs are Kioti tractors. The 7000 and 5000 series machines are contracted out to other manufactureres. So the total of the Cub Cadets are actually several brands but all marketed as Cub. Mahindra has some tractors made for them and they make some. Ditto JD. Ditto NH. So they are not different than the Cub Cadet example above. With the exception of Jinma, I think it is fair to look at market share by BRAND, not by the underlying manufacturer of the components.

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #4  
Mahindra is #4 with annual sales around 8,000 units. I don't think any of the other brands are moving enough machines for the big 3 to care. Next time they throw these numbers out at a meeting I will try and write them down.

Neil, any clue about JINMA or is there really any way to tell because of the fractured way they are available?

If Mahindra sold about 8000 units, what did Kubota sell? JD? NH?

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #6  
Hi Bob,

I did some searching on the internet and found an article on Mahindras market share. I am not a Mahindra dealer (do like their tractors from what I have seen) but had been quoted these numbers by their rep and now have found them.

I am an LG Montana dealer and have to say that if you calculate LGs products they should have a dent in the CUT market and I think it will take more market share in the near term. I do not have any specific info on who holds what share other than the article below.

I found a site that has this info. To purchase the information cost over $4200.00, OUCH!

Mahindra says it holds a 12% share in the 26 states that its dealer network represents. Here is the article I saw.

Mahindra USA Market

The "Big 3" should be looking over their shoulder with companies like LG, Mahindra, Kioti and others producing excellent machines and are making tremendous strides in penetrating the No. American market.

Maka

Maka, I had seen that article, but it is somewhat misleading. Articles like that one are what prompted me to post my question in the first place!

They say that 98% of the compact tractor sales are in 28 states I have to seriously question their data and the accuracy of the story! They also make their claim but omit all tractors under 25hp. Hmmm. . .

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #8  
I agree. They may be puffing them up but no doubt they are making some in roads in the market place.

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #9  
I totally agree that competition is good for the consumer. How else will the big three be kept honest and forced to continue to improve their products. On their market share, why only 28 states? I also have to doubt their penetration numbers.

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #10  
<font color="blue">Mahindra is #4 with annual sales around 8,000 units. </font>

Sources, need the source of your information otherwise...it is useless.

<font color="blue"> I don't think any of the other brands are moving enough machines for the big 3 to care. </font>

I would imagine, that is 'exactly' what the 'non-big 3' are hoping.....the 'big 3' are thinking.

Don /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif