Market Share %? Does anyone really know?

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #21  
<font color="blue"> Philip Morris does.

Kraft Mac & Cheese does.
</font>
Aren't these two the same company?

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know?
Altria is the parent company for Philip Morris USA, the PM brands of cigarettes occupy 50% of all the cigarettes sold in the US.

Altria is the parent company for Kraft Foods, but Kraft Mac & Cheese, as a brand family has a 50+ share of that category.

Kraft Foods itself does not have a 50% share for all its brands but it does have a 50 share for several (Oscar Meyer, Life Saver, Oreo also come to mind within their respective categories.)

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #23  
But how many "brands" of Cigs does PM sell under?

As far as Mac & Cheese, I can think of two national brands of the top of my head head - Kraft & Velveeta. Have you ever tried any of the store brands Mac & Cheese? That is my point of the others should just stop competing. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Same w/ Ketchup Heinz & Hunts are the two biggies.

Heck even Coke only has a 44% market share w/ Pepsi having 31.8. W/ Cadbury Schweppes plc (Dr. Pepper/7Up) making up 14.3%. The "Big 3" here only 87.1% of the market - and I would bet they have a lot less competition nationally then the "Big 3" tractors, even though there are probably more "local" brands than there are "local" tractor brands.

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #24  
<font color="blue"> Oreo also come to mind </font>
Well deserved! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know?
The Marlboro brand occupies 50% of the premium market all by itself. They probably sell a total of about 100 different SKUs.

Kraft & Velveta are the SAME company.

Hunts is miniscule compared to Heinz. Ditto Del Monte. Ditto Red Gold.

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why don't we just do our own survey to answer this question? )</font>

Here is one of sorts - a flawed statistical analysis of 12,033 owning/operating posts:

Kubota 48%
Deere 17%
New Holland 16%
Kioti 6%
Cub 2.5%
Cen/Bran 2.6%
Mahindra 3.6%
Other 2.8%

I didn't include Case/IH or Agco stuff, but they would be about 1.5% and 3% respectively. Other problems of analyzing this site are: history of TBN originally being a Kubota only site (larger number of archive Kubota posts), the smaller brands not having separate owning and buying sections (they are combined, thus boosting their numbers), plus other issues....however....

It is interesting to speculate that our little internet "tractor community" may (MAY!!!) mirror the larger national picture.

Mark

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #27  
but I have a hard time believing any one company has 50% of the market share w/ that many participants

You can beleieve it. The telephone company I work for has 60% of the market share for long distance within it's footprint. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( They say that 98% of the compact tractor sales are in 28 states I have to seriously question their data and the accuracy of the story! They also make their claim but omit all tractors under 25hp. Hmmm. . . )</font>
28 states is just about what I remember hearing from someone at Kioti. They don't even bother to advertise, and don't have any dealers in most of the western states other than CA. Most of their sales are in the eastern states. I saw a chart once, but don't have it. Apparently their own market research shows they need not bother trying to market CUTs in those other states as only the large farm tractors are being sold. I believe that's pretty true for Kubota and the others as well. John

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #29  
That makes the most sense for using 28 states as a baseline.

The CUT market and the AG market are 2 different animals. In those states that the AG tractors sell in, most likely a CUT buyer is going to the AG dealer for a second small utility tractor.

Good post so far /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Market Share %? Does anyone really know? #30  
As for a survey on TBN, I suspect that we would find PowerTrac would have disproportionate #s, ditto a few other brands. I don't think we TBN folks are anything close to a statistical sample.

And here I thought PowerTrac was #4 nationwide........... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just give 'em another year or two!!