Market Watch

/ Market Watch #291  
When I pass Messick's, I typically see something on most their delivery trailers. But hey, maybe they shuffle things around just to look busy too.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

I remember reading about a similar tactic in Ben Franklin's autobiography. When he lacked work as a young printer, he would periodically push a wheel barrow full of paper through town just to appear busy and prosperous. It's funny to think of modern businesses still doing that nearly 300 years later, but I guess it is entirely possible.

My local Kubota dealer is full-up on new equipment of all types too, and I wish I had a real reason to try some..........hmmm, maybe window shopping would be doing a favor and helping him look busy?

/ Market Watch #292  
I'm seeing more used skid loaders for sale on FB marketplace. Some are showing markdowns, but I'm wondering if showing the mark down is just a marketing tactic to make you think it's a better deal?

/ Market Watch #293  
On tractorhouse, used tractor prices still seem extremely high. A 2019 Kioti 48Hp unit for $38k? Open station? It wasn’t that much new 😂

/ Market Watch #294  
On tractorhouse, used tractor prices still seem extremely high. A 2019 Kioti 48Hp unit for $38k? Open station? It wasn’t that much new

Part of the problem might be people looking at the price of new equipment and thinking, "If I don't get $38K for my tractor then I'll just keep it instead of replacing it."

/ Market Watch #296  
True, but these are dealers.

There is one thing I don't understand about tractor dealers. On the automotive side, we see people come in every day and say, "I'm looking for a truck a few years old with under 100,000 miles on it." And those trucks are GOLD. We sell them at a higher profit margin than brand new trucks.

I would think tractor dealerships get the same type of customer. But many on here tell of wanting to trade in or consign to the dealer and the dealer not wanting that trade.

There must be a reason that I don't know about.

/ Market Watch #297  
^i went through that this year trying to trade a used Mahindra with brake and bull pinion seal issues I disclosed to the dealers. Most of them wouldn't touch it. Finally found one used tractor dealer to take it and he sold it within a few days after he got it on his lot. I should have sold it myself...

/ Market Watch #298  
I just found out the local Massey Ferguson dealer bit the dust and is no longer in business. Can't say I'm too surprised. There were signs of major cracks that I picked up early on. I remember that dealer telling me they were selling the heck out of those tractors yet they had a yard full of them all the time. Now they went belly up. The economic storm that is hitting this industry is real.
Not playing out that way here yet... I'm still getting called in to deliver new units as well as used ones and pick up trade in units as well and the shop is busy also. Been helping out a bit with wrenching, mostly combines presently.

/ Market Watch #299  
Whether a particular dealer survives or not could depend on many factors such was whether farming is still a strong area of the economy in the region where the dealer is located. Any particular dealer's financial strength could also depend on how well the dealership has operated over the years. I'd say there are too many unknown variables to assess the strength of tractor sales without knowing more about the particular dealer's situation and that would mean having inside information on the dealer's financial strength, too.

I can think of a dealer started by a guy that was pretty good when he was alive to run it, but I'm not so sure his widow can handle it now that he's gone.