Marmot Infestation

/ Marmot Infestation
A brief update on my marmot saga: Since my post on July 21, I have trapped an additional dozen of the pests, 7 from the same barn door. That makes 32 since this May, and a grand total of 187 since June 2020, with 59 from the barn door. I can see where they come up through the floor of the barn stall, but have not found an outside entrance. There are many dens in the rocky layers in my back pasture, so they must be traveling some underground highway into the barn.

The good news is that I was averaging 75-80 a year the first two years I was here and only 32 so far this year. I haven’t trapped a single marmot in the past 10 days; in fact, I have seen only one. They mostly hibernate sometime around October, so I suspect I have seen the worst of it for the year. I am hoping it is like MossRoad said, and I will eventually get control of the population. Of course, if I ever stop trapping, the neighboring marmots will soon take over the empty space. But for now, it does look like there is hope. I may even try gardening again next year!

/ Marmot Infestation
wow you aren't kidding it was a real infestation!!!
Something I haven't mentioned before is that all 187 marmots were trapped in an area not over an acre in size, just my barnyard, garden and house yard. An infestation indeed! I haven't even started on the back or side pastures, maybe another 3 acres.

/ Marmot Infestation #84  
I found some conibear 160s with single vs double springs, as good for muskrats and groundhogs. A bit easier to set and as always just laid over/across any marmot hole. Stake 'em down (the chain) so nothing takes the trap too if/when when stealing your catch. (trapping SOP)

NO bait, just lay a few strands of grass or a twig on it to disguise the trigger wires. They'll try to brush them aside and ___. I've caught 'em coming and going according to time of day I set but never seen one make it to the end of the chain. 😁 (pics on request)

btw, In twenty one years here I've learned that if you trap at all you may do so from then on. There is closure with a body count vs a wiring harness muncher dying of poison in a hidden corner of the barn, etc. You can get ahead of things like the OP has, and running your line can be more inspecting than digging/burying. Fur trapping can be tough. Nuisance trapping never was. Sorry to carry on, but IMO trapping is too easy to call it a chore.

Last edited:
   / Marmot Infestation #85  
Something I haven't mentioned before is that all 187 marmots were trapped in an area not over an acre in size, just my barnyard, garden and house yard. An infestation indeed! I haven't even started on the back or side pastures, maybe another 3 acres.
no natural predator ? eagles, wolfs or fox

/ Marmot Infestation #86  
Fox don't seem to bother the groundhogs here. They go after rabbits, squirrels and smaller stuff though.

/ Marmot Infestation #87  
That’s nuts! :ROFLMAO:

I’ve been getting the same little groundhog all week. I trapped it from under our porch, under our deck, and two days ago under the other side of the porch. I think it’s a female, but haven’t asked it yet. 🙃

So I hosed out the trap, as it tends to eat all the apples in the trap after the door closes, then poops all over the trap. After I hosed the trap out, I went to put it on the shed, and a baby rabbit is sitting there in the shed looking at me, then runs under some equipment. I think it’s been eating my wife’s rose bushes. :rolleyes:

/ Marmot Infestation #88  
Fox don't seem to bother the groundhogs here. They go after rabbits, squirrels and smaller stuff though.
Same here. I’ve never seen one eating a dead groundhog, but plenty of rabbits, squirrels, mice/voles and snakes.

/ Marmot Infestation #89  
My German Shepherd would love your place. He's bored around here, already killed all the groundhogs.

/ Marmot Infestation
I found some conibear 160s with single vs double springs, as good for muskrats and groundhogs. A bit easier to set and as always just laid over/across any marmot hole. Stake 'em down (the chain) so nothing takes the trap too if/when when stealing your catch. (trapping SOP)

NO bait, just lay a few strands of grass or a twig on it to disguise the trigger wires. They'll try to brush them aside and ___. I've caught 'em coming and going according to time of day I set but never seen one make it to the end of the chain. 😁 (pics on request)

btw, In twenty one years here I've learned that if you trap at all you may do so from then on. There is closure with a body count vs a wiring harness muncher dying of poison in a hidden corner of the barn, etc. You can get ahead of things like the OP has, and running your line can be more inspecting than digging/burying. Fur trapping can be tough. Nuisance trapping never was. Sorry to carry on, but IMO trapping is too easy to call it a chore.
I would love to set several conibear traps over known den holes in my back pasture, but body-gripping traps are illegal in WA State. That is the result of the larger population in the Puget Sound metroplex, mostly urban and suburban, voting to ban body-gripping traps. According to 2021 estimates (Rural health for Washington Overview - Rural Health Information Hub), WA State is now 10% rural (vs. 19% in 2017), which means those of us who live in the country are rarely considered when new legislation is introduced in the State House. No doubt it is the same story for most of the country. Not complaining, just looking reality in the face.