Marvel Mystery Oil

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #1  

MikeIIA

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4400 Hydro.Galion503 Road Grader,JD3020,JD1010Crawler,JDMC Crawler
There is a product available at the local Wal Mart and most other places that sell oils called Marvel Mystery Oil. If you read the can it makes all kinda claims about what it can do for your vehicle when added to your gas tank,transmission,crankcase, and other places.
My neighbor said it has been on the market since the 1920's. If it is a "snake oil" then how has it survived all these years in the marketplace? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Anybody ever use it?
What the heck is it? A solvent perhaps?
Mike

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #2  
When I was younger ( another lifetime) I was a mechanic and went to university to study air frame and power plant mechanics. We used to use it in the shop all the time. It was especially good for valve jobs, knurlizeing the guides etc. It has been around a LONG time. Not snake oil but I wouldnt put it in my gas tank either. I use it just like any other regular general use oil. NOT motor oil. I do reccomend it for general use. Dave

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #3  
#1 diesel fuel kinda like wd-40 for engines.. there was another link back about 6months ago.. i think it's snake oil.. and you can sell anything in america it's the scam artist's paridise..

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #4  
Yup, thats why many major garages use it and its been around for 80 + years. Definately snake oil....terrible stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Dave

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #5  
Here is one of those places we disagree on Dave. I do put it in my gas tank, not often but some to lube and clean the injectors. In my Lincoln Towncar and Camry, I think they run better afterward, but then again that is just my opinion. I was putting it in my diesel too till lately I started using Power Service. See we just can't agree all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #6  
Well now I thought I just might get through the nite with out a dissagreement ! Dang I can always count on you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif lol. I am just not a big fan of additives. I have used this product at several employers and in school. I use it as a general oil when I want something other than a penetrating oil like wd-40. I recently started useing the power service in my tractor and it is noticebly quieter. I say if it works then go for it. I think its a good product and its no fly by nighter haveing been around so long. Many might say the same thing (scam) about Amsoil and others are pretty darn ardent that the stuff is gold. I really think to some extent as a general lube it is perceived value. Dave

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #7  
Mike, like the other guys said, Marvel Mystery Oil has been around many, many years. When I was a teenager and my dad owned a service station, we sold lots of it for use as an "upper lube" either poured through the carburator's air intake or added to the gas tank. We also had one customer who had an old, very high mileage car that he kept looking like new inside and out and when we changed the oil and filter, he wanted a non-detergent motor oil with a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil in place of one pint of motor oil; said it was the best thing in the world for keeping the inside of the engine clean.

I also know a lot of people use the regular Marvel Mystery Oil (red can) for air tool oil; however, they make a Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil (white can), which is what I always used.

I never knew personally of anyone putting it in a transmission, but since it's a high detergent light weight oil, as is ATF, I'm sure it's done.

/ Marvel Mystery Oil
Well I was thinking about putting a can of it in place of one quart of 10-40 oil next time I change the oil in our 1980 Chevy 4wd truck. The truck rarely gets driven and has a valve that seems to be sticking. The truck has about 30,000 miles on a new engine that was put in 11 years ago.
Anyone think this would help the sticking valves out? I know driving it more often would probably help but the truck gets horrible mileage.
Mike

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #9  
I use to see a lot of people pour ATF in their carburetor to clean the valves. Throttle up, pour it in and watch the white smoke boil.

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #10  
I have used Marvel Mystery oil in my gunsmithing business for the last 20 years. It is an excellent oil when used to lubricate firearm internals prior to assembly. Its fairly light and unburnt powder residue tends not to stick to it. I also use it as the main lube in my .45. Everyone else uses Break-Free CLP but with MMO I have less jams due to crud buildup.