Massey Ferguson 135 issues

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues
Your tractor sat for a time and has unknown history. The injection pump is a lot more complicated than a carb.. It controls timing of injection. If you want to have dependable starting and running , start with an injection pump rebuild. The fact that it will run is a plus. Even if your engine ends up needing a rebuild you need an injection pump that you know is working right. Its money well spent.
There is a forum member thepumpguySC that rebuilds pumps. You wont find a more trustworthy fair guy to rebuild your pump. Google him.

No heater ??? Look on the intake for a wire connection and a small fuel tubing going too it

Yes I've been considering getting the pump redone. I felt like it may be part of the starting and fueling issues. Thanks for the recommendation, I will look him up.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues #23  
Yes I've been considering getting the pump redone. I felt like it may be part of the starting and fueling issues. Thanks for the recommendation, I will look him up.

For cold weather starting it may be beneficial to add a 1/8 fuel line and install a manifold heater. you could have it on a momentary switch. On mine after about fifteen seconds you hear gurgling and vaporized fuel will appear at the opening. Mine was hard starting and when I fixed the heater it would start easy at 25f. My engine failed this spring. Its rebuilt now.
The fuel line to the heater is not pressurized. The heat draws fuel by convection. A freeze plug heater is also makes starting easier and isn't as hard on the engine starting cold. Just suggestions.
I sent my injectors to pumpguy to set the opening pressure. [ pop off pressure] That's important also.
Just as a side note. If you installed a manifold heater wd40 would be dangerous to use with the heater. The heater is just a little coil.
Ill quit bending your ear. I'm out of thoughts for now anyway. Those Lucas cav injection pumps are good but need rebuilt over time. There is a small vein pump on the end that feeds fuel that wears. The injector pump rotates inside a lobed ring that times the injection. It takes a special setup and knowledge to get it all timed and working right. You may want to send the injectors out also. They should not raise the rebuild cost much. He may request it.
Easy starting in your future.

Good luck with it.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues #24  
If you pull the injector pump just remove the gear and let the it lay in the housing. on my 3-152 the gear stays in mesh so you don't lose timing. I think its designed s0 there isn't enough room for it to get out of time. To access the gear remove the oval oil fill plate on the timing gear cover.
At that time disconnect your battery so you don't accidentally rotate the engine. There is an alignment pin on the gear so when you reinstall the pump its still in time with the timing gears.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues
If you pull the injector pump just remove the gear and let the it lay in the housing. on my 3-152 the gear stays in mesh so you don't lose timing. I think its designed s0 there isn't enough room for it to get out of time. To access the gear remove the oval oil fill plate on the timing gear cover.
At that time disconnect your battery so you don't accidentally rotate the engine. There is an alignment pin on the gear so when you reinstall the pump its still in time with the timing gears.

Okay will do. Thank you for your help. As far as the cold start it doesn't really get that cold here. Not to mention I don't use the tractor much if any in the winter so far. I use the 4 wheelers lol. My MF 165 doesn't have the heater either and it cranks fine. I crank it about once every 2 weeks in the winter just to make sure she's okay.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues #26  
Would start with a compression test, a MF 135 is one of the most easy engine to start of almost all engines, starts just as easy in -15C as it does in 30C without any preheat. Check the engine breather, any blow by? Is it open? Check the strainer on the top of the fuel shutt off valve on the tank, that's a essential part of the fuel system.

Would do a lot more diagnostic before the pump job. If it's very worn it will not start and the blow by will be excessive. The good part is that a new overhaul kit is very cheap.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues #27  
There is a crankcase breather tube on the front of the block to the right of centre from memory near the fan belt? If that gets blocked, (I had a stick stuck up it!) you will have smoke and oil coming out of the dip stick hole and oil filler! It may be difficult to see, but work shop manual should show it.