Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :(

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :(
A shot in the dark here with multiple users. Doubt its a mechanical issue, more likely a hydraulic one. Pressure is applied to the cylinder by an input from the steering wheel. Most operators will hold the wheel in position while turning, setting the angle of the front wheels and reducing the oil supply from the orbital valve. If the wheel is cranked over to one side and held so the hydraulics can be heard going over the relief valve, it might be a situation where the cylinder starts shifting. A little at first, then more and more. The steering in a car and the GC are quite different mechanical/hydraulic methods.

DMW could you check where your stops are (touching or not on lock) and let me know please.

As per Hube2 post link, i dont want them to have no stop and damage the ram.... I might need to re-adjust for the last few mm of ram travel.

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #22  
DMW could you check where your stops are (touching or not on lock) and let me know please.

As per Hube2 post link, i dont want them to have no stop and damage the ram.... I might need to re-adjust for the last few mm of ram travel.
Both wheels are the same. The stops are touching when the wheel is held continually to one side. As soon as the steering wheel is released, the tires backs off 3/8" from the stop.

maheel, has anything changed recently on who or how the GC is being operated? Excessive sharp turning could be a potential culprit.

Attachments

• GC stop1.jpg
    GC stop1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • GC stop.jpg
    GC stop.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics

It did do some recent heavy bucket work dirt and gravel with myself, but i am 99% sure it had the issue prior but i dont know if i made it worse.

I had noticed some slop in the steering prior but did not check it thoroughly.... then when doing the dirt work i stopped and looked it over and found the issue and did the 1st straighten up of the brackets (no stop turn adjustments then).

No one has adjusted steering / or repairs apart from me

Another person drove it Thurs slashing (in some heavy weed areas) and bent the the brackets bringing the issue back after a few hours work. About 5 different people use the tractor but i do the majority of any heavy work. (prior to turn stop adjustment)

In the link further up for it discusses loading a bucket and turning the steering before moving can cause bent rams. (which my also bend brackets in my case) but in slashing most weight is on the back...

I'm testing it later today (with turn stop adjustments) and will adjust my driving style to try to eliminate turning steering while stationary and see how it goes.

Id like to find the "cause" before buying parts if i can...

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #24  
Thanks for the pics

It did do some recent heavy bucket work dirt and gravel with myself, but i am 99% sure it had the issue prior but i dont know if i made it worse.

I had noticed some slop in the steering prior but did not check it thoroughly.... then when doing the dirt work i stopped and looked it over and found the issue and did the 1st straighten up of the brackets (no stop turn adjustments then).

No one has adjusted steering / or repairs apart from me

Another person drove it Thurs slashing (in some heavy weed areas) and bent the the brackets bringing the issue back after a few hours work. About 5 different people use the tractor but i do the majority of any heavy work. (prior to turn stop adjustment)

In the link further up for it discusses loading a bucket and turning the steering before moving can cause bent rams. (which my also bend brackets in my case) but in slashing most weight is on the back...

I'm testing it later today (with turn stop adjustments) and will adjust my driving style to try to eliminate turning steering while stationary and see how it goes.

Id like to find the "cause" before buying parts if i can...
Were you using a counterweight when doing the heavy loader work? Also noticed there is a lot of paint scraped off the bottom of the steer cylinder and axles, that's not very common.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #25  
Hi Dmacleo

When you have time can you put your 2400 on full lock and see if the stops touch for me please
I'll check tomorrow can't remember for sure but think they do not touch

I adjusted the stops again to cause stop just before full ram extension both sides.
Leaves just a tiny push, more a flex on the ram.

After 1hr light slashing some weeds work brackets are ok, i drove trying not to full lock.
Ram has a slight movement in brackets when you just rock the steering wheel back and forth.

I'll monitor for now to see how it goes. I have to shift a bit of shale / dirt next week so that will be the serious test.

DMW I had the slasher on the back when doing dirt bucket work, why do you ask?

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #27  
Having never been, AFAIK, "played with," here's what the steering stops look like on my 2007 GC2310 (990 hrs), after turning to the point of "complaining" and then releasing the steering wheel and setting the brake.

I do see where one stop bolt has more threads exposed that the other, which would probably explain the difference in the gap -- 3/16" on the left vs. none on the right.... Looks a lot like DMW's above, except reversed. (Perhaps I need to make a small adjustment there!)

Attachments

• DSC00025.jpg
    DSC00025.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    930.3 KB · Views: 70
   / Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #28  
I was wrong my bolts contact few degrees before steering wheel full travel

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #29  
DMW I had the slasher on the back when doing dirt bucket work, why do you ask?
If not using a counterweight (slasher) all the weight of the tractor can be on the front axle. I've done it before moving a large rototiller, lifted the back wheels off the ground, then using the FWD to move the load. Not recommended. Adds a lot of extra strain on the front end that it wasn't designed for.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #30  
I have a question, when adjusting the steering lock bolts do you have to take into account for when the front axle pivits to max angle ( tire rubbing against frame). Seem I’ve read this somewhere.