Buying Advice Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB
The MSRP of the B2601 is near $6K greater than a GC1720. The difference in price between the two shouldn't change much after negotiation, unless one dealer is willing work and one isn't. I almost spent the extra on a B2601, its a great sized machine. To throw another wrinkle in there, the Kubota B2650 is only ~$2K more than a B2601. Its a slippery slope...an L2501 isnt much more...at that point you should be comparing to Massey 1726E.....haha....I could go on. Best thing is figure out your needs...and limitations...that will narrow down the selection.

This is spot on. I was reading furiously about the B2601 last night...many threads said if you consider the B2601, you should really look at the B2650, but then the L is not much more, and yada yada yada. lol

The quote came back today with the B2601 with loader/backhoe almost 8K more than GC 1720, all decked out. I was interested when the cost difference looked like 2K, but after some thought and conversation, realized I don't need tiller now, and can skip box blade as I have a friend who will loan me his - was on the fence about buying because I don't have gravel road/driveway to maintain and limited other uses for it. So, I'll borrow his, and if I find I borrow it more than a time or two, I'll look at getting one later. All those words to say that the Massey price is now under $20K, compared to a quote of $27,400 for B2601 with loader, backhoe, third function front and dual rear remotes, and a land pride grapple.

For me, the B2601 is more, and nicer, but not enough extra value there for $7k more.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your price quote for both the massey and LS, with those options , I've been considering an xj2025, and also the massey. Buy am just curious as to price comparissions, as to quotes I'm getting, thanks

Massey GC1720, with backhoe thumb, SSQA loader option, 42" pallet forks, poly PTO broadcast spreader, dual rear remotes with selector valve, block heater, canopy, weld-on hooks on loader and hoe, and LED worklight: $19.8K

XJ2025H with forks, PTO broadcast spreader, dual rear remotes, front third function add, tiller, 60" box blade, forks, and backhoe thumb: $23.1K I didn't ask for quote without box blade and tiller - decided against the LS already. Basically, I loved everything about the LS except the backhoe. I didn't like the huge footprint due to the attached subframe; the quick connect location was hard to get to under main tractor seat (actually had dealer take hoe off to see how it worked, and their guy busted knuckles getting to the hydro quick connect), and I actually didn't like that the hoe had a separate seat. I'm 5-8 and my head was almost touching the ROPS when trying out the hoe. Plus, pushing the main tractor seat forward interfered with reaching throttle, key, etc.

I really wanted to love the LS, but all I could do is like it. Love the Massey, so I'm taking Red home.

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #13  
My friend paid near $23K for same Massey!

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #14  
Massey GC1720, with backhoe thumb, SSQA loader option, 42" pallet forks, poly PTO broadcast spreader, dual rear remotes with selector valve, block heater, canopy, weld-on hooks on loader and hoe, and LED worklight: $19.8K

XJ2025H with forks, PTO broadcast spreader, dual rear remotes, front third function add, tiller, 60" box blade, forks, and backhoe thumb: $23.1K I didn't ask for quote without box blade and tiller - decided against the LS already. Basically, I loved everything about the LS except the backhoe. I didn't like the huge footprint due to the attached subframe; the quick connect location was hard to get to under main tractor seat (actually had dealer take hoe off to see how it worked, and their guy busted knuckles getting to the hydro quick connect), and I actually didn't like that the hoe had a separate seat. I'm 5-8 and my head was almost touching the ROPS when trying out the hoe. Plus, pushing the main tractor seat forward interfered with reaching throttle, key, etc.

I really wanted to love the LS, but all I could do is like it. Love the Massey, so I'm taking Red home.

Wow...and I thought I did well getting a factory thumb thrown in for free on my 1710! For the SSQA is that a factory option? I didnt think they had one for the GC series. Same for the canopy?

Wow...and I thought I did well getting a factory thumb thrown in for free on my 1710! For the SSQA is that a factory option? I didnt think they had one for the GC series. Same for the canopy?

The thumb is a factory option now, as is the SSQA. Canopy is a dealer-sourced option - available either red or aluminum.

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #16  
The thumb is a factory option now, as is the SSQA. Canopy is a dealer-sourced option - available either red or aluminum.

Yes, I got the factory thumb included in my purchase which was around $16k out the door. I thought the SSQA was just for the 1700 series (non GC). Do you by chance have a part # for that? What forks did you go with?

I was mistaken - SSQA is NOT a factory option - my dealer installs them. He said they've been on Massey for a couple years to offer it. I went for a 54" bucket upgrade also. He gave me a $100 credit on the 48" bucket - I couldn't think of what else to do with another loader bucket so I said OK, but I can try to get it back if there's a compelling reason to have a spare bucket. He'd put the SSQA on it also. Thoughts on that would be much appreciated.

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #18  
Absolutely get it back for $100, even if it sits behind the shed rusting most of the time, as 48" is a much better dirt digger for such a tiny tractor.

Got my 48" bucket back, and it will include SSQA. I'm thinking of setting up one bucket with toothbar, other will be bare or attach ratchet rake. I like the idea of swapping buckets instead of attachments.

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #20  
Good choice on red! I have a 2011 GC2600 that I got used 3 years ago for $14k. It had a loader and 60" MMM, and the dealer included a 54" tiller for me. Tractor was originally $13.9, so they must have dropped it some, as well as doing the tiller "at cost" to meet the budget I gave them. I have 2 Kubota dealers nearby, one I can walk to, so I looked at them a lot. The thing I hated the most was the rocker pedal. I MUCH prefer the 2 pedal forward/reverse setup Massey uses (as well as NH I saw today, and Mahrinda I think). I was getting frustrated with it just on a short test drive at one dealer, and could just imagine my wife or kids stepping on it getting off and backing over something. (I disabled the seat safety on the GC one winter when I realized it needed to idle with the HST engaged to circulate fluid so it warms up after catching it trying to stall out with it engaged and trying to move after plowing snow in -10 for an hour. The fluid just seems to cool down resulting in a loss of speed and power until I let it sit idle for a couple minutes with the HST engaged.)

I just ordered a SSQA adapter and thought the same as you. I'll have a larger light material bucket for hay, snow, compost, while the 48" will get a toothbar for digging. I'm debating on saving some money by making my own welded to the 48" since I can just swap buckets so easily, but I'll wait on that.