Massive storm clean up

/ Massive storm clean up
It has worked very well. Wouldn’t mind one size bigger for weight, but it got the job done.
Now onto “shuttling” brush.

/ Massive storm clean up #232  
Now onto “shuttling” brush.
I remember seeing you were looking for a new grapple. Is it your plan to use the tractor and grapple to shuttle the brush?

Are you allowed to burn? In Virginny, we make piles close to where we are working and burn there. We usually dig a shallow wide ditch and keep the pile small, feeding it all day long.

I thought I remember a mention in this and other threads that many of your customers are "fussy" about such things as burning.

/ Massive storm clean up #233  
That's about the weight of the Komatsu I have been using. It's low ground pressure also. It seems like the LGP units do spin the tracks quite a bit. Maybe they don't have as high of grousers?

/ Massive storm clean up
I remember seeing you were looking for a new grapple. Is it your plan to use the tractor and grapple to shuttle the brush?

I tried my forks and HLA log grapple for a few hours yesterday and they worked very well. I think I can skip the brush grapple altogether. These HLA log grapples are fantastic for cleaning up downed trees from logs to brush. I will keep going this way until the ground gets too steep, then I may have to switch to a skid loader on tracks. Hopefully the tractor and log grapple can do all of it.
Are you allowed to burn? In Virginny, we make piles close to where we are working and burn there. We usually dig a shallow wide ditch and keep the pile small, feeding it all day long.

I thought I remember a mention in this and other threads that many of your customers are "fussy" about such things as burning.

Yep no burning the brush. I am shuttling it to a ravine in the woods where it is being stored while it breaks down. Customer doesn't want any burning or chipping anymore.

/ Massive storm clean up
Here’s some pics of me in the Challenger shuttling brush from piles further away to the ravine in the woods.

I had to cut a few trees down to access the ravine. Notice all the trees fallen in the background (and my broken mirror) ?
1712789852681.jpeg

Here’s my view of the ravine from the ridge up above. The groundskeepers have already planted several new Loblolly Pines as you can see near the old stumps.
The owners of this estate own 2 tree farms, 1 in Florida and 1 in Georgia. Several thousand acres of Loblolly down there.

1712790143484.jpeg

Grapple works pretty well. Doesn’t drop too much on the drive down.
1712789908135.jpeg

One more dumping down at the ravine.

1712790362456.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Massive storm clean up #237  
That's about the weight of the Komatsu I have been using. It's low ground pressure also. It seems like the LGP units do spin the tracks quite a bit. Maybe they don't have as high of grousers?

I was using a new holland that’s a little bigger than my D3 before I had the D3. I think the D3 is about 9 tons and the new holland was 11 tons so actually a decent amount bigger. The D3 with the regular tracks definitely seems to bite the ground better.
IMG_6037.JPG
IMG_6188.JPG

/ Massive storm clean up
The D3 had all the power & comfort, but more weight would been better.
It worked out fine. I was surprised how gentle it was on the ground.
Visibility was lacking.

/ Massive storm clean up #239  
The D3 had all the power & comfort, but more weight would been better.
It worked out fine. I was surprised how gentle it was on the ground.

My D5 is very much lacking comfort compared to my D3 but it pushes way more. I can actually finish grade smoother with the 5 and that was the plan for the D3.
IMG_6237.JPG

/ Massive storm clean up #240  
They do make a difference.