Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #21  
When you figure out how to predict the future, please let us all know.

Dodge Man is correct. We are seeing major trades like TPO roofing have monthly allocations from manufacturers.
Some of the Commerical roofers we deal with will take all bid invitations (for the month let’s say) and compare against monthly material allocations for the month the installation will be scheduled to occur and do that to maximize the profit they make. Nothing wrong with that, but some items are harder to get right now. I’m sure some of this is spilling in the residential market.

if you want/can afford to do it now, do it now. If you want to wait and see, wait and see. It may go up, it may go down, it may stay the same. One thing is for sure is that time will tell!!

One more, skilled labor is in short supply right now!

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation
Thanks everyone.
I do have a house to live in and it is going up in value while I whittle at the new one.
I agree, I don't have a crystal ball but copper wire is going up $5/250' currently every week here. I haven't ever heard of it going down over the years.
As I understand it, Shanghai is and has been under strict lockdown due to the virus and much of our copper comes from there. It is what made me consider this and why I posted my question here.

No doubt, I will guess right some of the time and wrong on others. That is why I came here to see what others thought.

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #23  
NM Wire went up twice last week. And, in most areas the code now requires a nuetral in the switch legs for lights etc, so they can be wired for smart switches.

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #24  
Building here is going as strong as it ever has. And inflation isn’t going to reverse. If you’re waiting for prices to drop it could take a while.
FL & TX get all the headlines, but I heard TN is up there with them as one of the top states city people are fleeing to to get away from the violent war zone cities like Baltimore, Chicago, etc.

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #25  
So, I was supposed to build a house this year. I just finished phase one (well, septic, roads, and drainage) and am ready to start the actual build.
With gas prices, inflation, supply-chain issues etc. it looks like the worst time in history to build something.
I just read that Shanghai has been in total lockdown and this will disrupt the supply chain for many items including copper.

So that's the background and I am thinking about going out today and buying
1500 ft. 14/2,
250 f.t 14/3 and
250 ft.12/2 wire just because it takes up little space and doubt it will ever come down in price in the next 18 months.

Anyone have other thoughts or ideas? I know others here have more experience with home building.
Having lived through the 70s recession, 80s recession, dot com crash and 2008 housing bubble, my feeling is that anything you buy today, you will be able to buy cheaper when the inevitable recession hits, and it’s going to be doozy. This country is leveraged to the eyeballs.

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #26  
Experience had shown when things turn bad many put everything on hold.

When the bottom dropped out of real estate I know many that had been complaining of high prices I thought would have jumped in but few did unless investor types.

Prices do vary and careful shopping with safe storage can keep a project on track...

My builder friend is having a heck of a time with the custom windows his client finally decided on only now they are 3 months more out.

Things like refrigerators not so big a deal... get anything cheap to make do.

Where he has saved significant money is putting out all lumber for bid and locking in the price but a little harder now...

So many units of plywood, OSB, framing etc... can be significant

My concrete costs are up and not much I can do and find at the end of the day just happy when it's done.

On a side note inspection and permits remain a huge problem as city departments still remain closed with many working from home or in person by hard to get appointments...

Last edited:
   / Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #27  
Thanks everyone.
I do have a house to live in and it is going up in value while I whittle at the new one.
I agree, I don't have a crystal ball but copper wire is going up $5/250' currently every week here. I haven't ever heard of it going down over the years.
As I understand it, Shanghai is and has been under strict lockdown due to the virus and much of our copper comes from there. It is what made me consider this and why I posted my question here.

No doubt, I will guess right some of the time and wrong on others. That is why I came here to see what others thought.
In early 2008 copper prices were almost $4/pound, by early 2009 copper was only about $1.50/pound. I can't imagine copper wire prices not dropping in 2009 but I guess it's possible. Maybe someone else can speak to that.

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #28  
FL & TX get all the headlines, but I heard TN is up there with them as one of the top states city people are fleeing to to get away from the violent war zone cities like Baltimore, Chicago, etc.

Property taxes are low here. Like our yearly dues are less than the monthly dues of some areas. The housing prices by my standards are spiraling out of control but compared to other areas it’s still half price. Those 2 factors are driving a huge influx of out of state buyers so I don’t see the local housing market tanking anytime soon.

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #29  
You built up this big pitch about saving money, but you forgot to say where the money savings is here...Sizing is of little consequence when building or remodeling.

Contractors make money on getting in and getting out and on to the next one.

Oh, yeah good point, Snobdds. The money savings comes about because anyone can have these old interiors complete for free or more likely the cost of hauling it. Kitchens are just an example because they are a concentrated part of the cost of building. One place where a lot of cost can be deferred.

I am making an assumption here that most people who are building their own house are hoping to get it done with cash on hand and no mortgage. My hints are aimed at that kind of builder....simply because that's what I understand.

The point is that everyday complete appliances in a house - including kitchen and cabinets - are being torn out by remodelers and destined to be junked. Everything works fine - these are high dollar houses he is doing - but it is being thrown away to replace it with the latest .

And since the sizing dimensions of stoves, refrigerators, HWH, and even sinks are standard, when drawing up a new house you just draw in the spaces for standard size appliances & take your pick.
rScotty

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #30  
If you have a home now I'd wait. If you didn't I'd put a trailer there temporarily since you have well, septic, etc. Our neighbors brother bought a nice older but fairly large travel trailer $1,500 then sold it after a couple years & house finished.
Predicting the future...who knows.
I had a horse stable built a couple years ago, really nice one. It was finished...Covid hit and the contractor said how lucky I was, the price just a month later would have been DOUBLE.
Recently I built a tack room. OSB was $46/sheet. I saw it go down to $24 and bought everything I needed. A week later I needed one more sheet and it was and still is $46.
I'd wait, buying some things if you happen to see the price drop. I wouldn't buy now with high prices thinking it will go even higher.
That's me & my 2c worth.