Mattress

/ Mattress #41  
After extensive research (I tend to be a nut in that regard) we replaced our pillow top inner spring mattress of 18 years with a Sleep Number. Our second choice was one of the foam mattresses. I was a big fan of the Sleep Number (they are over priced IMO), however after a few weeks, my wife was experiencing shoulder issues that could only be attributed to the bed. SN was good about sending us a few items and extending the return period in an attempt to make it work, but no dice. Ended up sending it back, which was a bit of a hassle. Also had to keep the adjustable base as they are non-returnable.

We then picked up a "Bob-o-pedic" which is essentially the tempurpedic but much less expensive. After a couple months we are very happy with it.

/ Mattress #42  
Many years ago, we had a King Koil mattress, and liked it for a couple of years, but after awhile, I was getting up every morning with a terrible backache. It would take me an hour or so to "work the kinks out" and get my back to feeling OK. So we tried a Sleep Number bed, and in 2 days, no more back problems. I was amazed. But the Sleep Number bed we had then was a "5000" model. Their top of the line at that time. The one we have now is not even close to being as good. So I know now that you can't just say "a Sleep Number bed", you have to know which Sleep Number bed, and the thicker the better, and of course the better one will cost more.

/ Mattress #43  
Many years ago, we had a King Koil mattress, and liked it for a couple of years, but after awhile, I was getting up every morning with a terrible backache. It would take me an hour or so to "work the kinks out" and get my back to feeling OK. So we tried a Sleep Number bed, and in 2 days, no more back problems. I was amazed. But the Sleep Number bed we had then was a "5000" model. Their top of the line at that time. The one we have now is not even close to being as good. So I know now that you can't just say "a Sleep Number bed", you have to know which Sleep Number bed, and the thicker the better, and of course the better one will cost more.

Our first Sleep Number bed was also the 5000 model. Wanted to upgrade for the new downstairs bedroom so we bought the new i8. Very comfortable but not twice as comfortable. Old bones get creaky and the bone sack is always achey and sore. Probably won't be completely comfortable until I get to heaven and stake out my nice, fluffy, soft cloud.

/ Mattress #44  
Our used one went to the landfill, and I soon wished that I had it back.

The mattress became more desirable after time spent at a landfill? Sorry, perhaps I misunderstand.

/ Mattress #45  
The mattress became more desirable after time spent at a landfill? Sorry, perhaps I misunderstand.

:laughing::laughing:poor choice of words on my part. Should have said I wished I'd kept it instead of wished that I had it back.:laughing:

/ Mattress #46  
A good sign of comfort is, if you can sleep all night in the same position.

As a rule, a firmer inner spring mattress, lasts much longer than a softer one. Which works out great for me, I wake up sore after sleeping on a soft mattress.

Our recent one is, a Sealy Posturepedic. It has individual coils, with firmer ones in the center. It's firm, with a softer memory foam pillow top. Very little motion transfer, sleeps reasonably cool, and can I sleep all night in the same position.

It was half the cost of the high end mattresses in the store, and nearly as comfortable.

My brother went all in on the memory foam mattress craze years ago. He currently has the "Purple" mattress, and he speaks highly of it.

/ Mattress #47  
I have never been able to tell what firmness of a mattress I need. I wake up sore and stove up no matter what.

/ Mattress #48  
When I moved back to the country, I had a King size waterbed that I was happy with, but the wife dicided it was too big for the bedroom so we went with the Restonic Marvelous middle it imprinted and they wouldn't honor the warranty. We decided to try the memory foam, too hot and it too imprinted in a short while. When we got a Sleep Number sale flyer, we checked them out and got one of the middle priced ones. We put the Memory foam in the extra bedroom and have been sleeping on the Sleep Number for 7 or 8 years and still happy with it. If it was just me, I'd still be on the waterbed, can adjust the firmness by adding or letting out the water and nice and warm at bedtime, but don't get too hot.

/ Mattress
These are all great reply's! I was surprised to learn how many people were in the same boat as we are in, trying to decide which mattress to buy? I knew I needed to get on here to learn what I needed to know. We have company this weekend but the wife and I will sort through all the suggestions again tomorrow and start looking at mattress again. Thanks!
sherpa