Max 26 - finish mower size

/ Max 26 - finish mower size #1  

haze5736

Tractor
Mahindra Max26 XLT
I purchased a Max 26 without the belly mower. I will get a 3pt finish mower for it. The dealer said the recommended implement size is 48" for basically everything except a rake. I find it hard to believe this 26hp machine can't handle at least a 60" 3pt finish mower. Does anyone have real world experience to help guide me in selecting a finish mower?

/ Max 26 - finish mower size #2  
the belly mower is 60" if it helps. I have not used it, but Im pretty sure the max 24 uses the same size and is 2 hp less etc...

/ Max 26 - finish mower size #3  
PTO HP is plenty, but dealers concern is likely about picking it up and not picking the front end up.

Add front weight and likely not an issue.

/ Max 26 - finish mower size #4  
i have one with less than 5 hrs on it. last 2 years been sick and could not use it and the darn thing froze as such and have not the time or tools to try to get the stupid thing freed up. was hoping to get to it last year but.... anyone interested pm me - in middle TN

/ Max 26 - finish mower size #5  
Manufacturers seem to be conservative with implement sizes. I ran a 72" rfm behind my previous B8200 tractor with 16 HP at the pto. A little slow in higher grass, but certainly doable.
As has been mentioned, the lifting ability could come into play. I didn't have a loader on the B8200 and had to add 150lbs to the front end to keep it down.
For reasonable height grass I'm pretty sure a 60" rfm will be fine on your machine.

/ Max 26 - finish mower size #6  
Years ago I owned a JD 850 (25 HP, 22 PTO HP) that had a 72" belly mower.
Ran that mower just fine
Go for at least a 60" rear finish mower IMO

/ Max 26 - finish mower size
I have a loader on the front so the weight shouldn't be an issue. The 3pt max lift is 2300 lbs. Would 72" really be pushing it? I have a 48" brush cutter so if it got away from me and grew too long I could knock it down with the brush cutter first.

I'm mowing what used to be a hay field with tons of weeds. This is the first year it is being mowed regularly. Also, the property is not flat.

/ Max 26 - finish mower size #8  
doubht it, i hang a 700+ backhoe off the back of mine with no issue.

/ Max 26 - finish mower size #9  
I've got a 7 footer on the back of my 2538 (38 hp). Wish I had gotten an 8 footer. It handles the 7 footer without any problems.

The 6' mower will only weigh 3-400 lb. Your issue may be the HP at the PTO to operate it. Find out what your PTO hp is and then have the dealer look up the actual specs for the various sizes. Worse case, take your tractor to the dealer and hook up a 6 footer to see how it operates.

You might want to look at other dealers for your mower. I bought a non-Mahindra brand and like it just fine. (suggest a rear discharge)

Last edited:
   / Max 26 - finish mower size #10  
I run a 6' RFM on my 25hp / 19 PTO hp without any problem. I used to run a 5' RFM on my SCUT with 17 PTO hp.

You will be fine with a 5', probably could get away with using a 6' as long as the grass wasn't too tall.