Max 28 Oil filter

/ Max 28 Oil filter #1  

Bootlegger750

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1640 Shuttle shift
Any use the Baldwin or Wix filter on their tractor? I've been using a Mahindra brand, but also have a Baldwin and Wix XP filter. Just wanted to ask before hand. Thanks

/ Max 28 Oil filter #2  
I use the filters I get from my Kubota dealer. I change the oil, oil filter and air filters(2) annually. So the added cost of OEM filters isn;t that much more.

/ Max 28 Oil filter
I use the filters I get from my Kubota dealer. I change the oil, oil filter and air filters(2) annually. So the added cost of OEM filters isn;t that much more.
Yeah, just didnt know if one of the others were better oil filters? A lot of Kubota things cross to this tractor though....lol. Air filter, fuel filter, fuel filter assembly. Mahindra like $58 for air filter Kubota is $35....lol.

/ Max 28 Oil filter #4  
I use the Wix and have no issue with Baldwin. NAPA house filters are made by Wix. The only filter my dealer said should be a “dealer” filter was the HST- said others may “fit” but because of the higher pressures it wasn’t worth risking an aftermarket filter being the wrong design.

Go to YouTube and watch some videos. Several folks have posted cutting open new filters. You can see the difference for sure!

/ Max 28 Oil filter
I use the Wix and have no issue with Baldwin. NAPA house filters are made by Wix. The only filter my dealer said should be a “dealer” filter was the HST- said others may “fit” but because of the higher pressures it wasn’t worth risking an aftermarket filter being the wrong design.

Go to YouTube and watch some videos. Several folks have posted cutting open new filters. You can see the difference for sure!
Ok, thanks. Mine is the Shuttle shift one.

/ Max 28 Oil filter #6  
So..... Looked up prices. Oil filter - $15.42 Air filter(inner) - $11.32 Air filter(outer) - $20.42

I DID buy a WIX oil filter a while back - - $9.00

The oil filter seemed to work OK. But I decided it was just safer to use Kubota products. OR, I should say, filters that SOMEBODY made and branded for Kubota.

/ Max 28 Oil filter #8  
The video is looong and a comparison, by visual inspection, of what is crammed in the canister. It would be nice to see which filter actually does the best job of filtering out the impurities.

/ Max 28 Oil filter #9  
I wanted a cross reference for a Mahindra filter and just spoke with my local filter guy today. He can look up and talk to the reps from several manufacturers including Wix, Donaldson, and Amsoil. What each of them told him is the Mahindra filter is a proprietary patented filter and until a filter manufacturer is willing to pay for patent rights to get the detailed info or until the patent runs out they won稚 be able to get the necessary info to cross reference it and guarantee an alternate filter won't harm the engine. Could they get one that would thread on and fit? Sure, but they can稚 guarantee it will work correctly without knowing the specs on the Mahindra filter. They don稚 know how many microns it is or what the designed flow rate is. Is it 5 micron, 10, 15? You could just say get me the filter with the finest level of microns BUT you risk it not being able to flow enough oil which could put the filter into bypass, essentially not correctly filtering of the oil at all. Obviously too coarse of a filter might not capture the particulates it should be catching. Basically without that very specific info you risk severely damaging your engine.

You can do whatever you want but it seems like it would be penny wise, pound foolish to try to save $15 on a filter and damage a several thousand dollar engine. I don't dispute there is likely a Wix or some other filter that is far superior to the Mahindra one but until they are willing to say it will work correctly I値l just keep spending the $26 on the Mahindra ones.

/ Max 28 Oil filter
I wanted a cross reference for a Mahindra filter and just spoke with my local filter guy today. He can look up and talk to the reps from several manufacturers including Wix, Donaldson, and Amsoil. What each of them told him is the Mahindra filter is a proprietary patented filter and until a filter manufacturer is willing to pay for patent rights to get the detailed info or until the patent runs out they won稚 be able to get the necessary info to cross reference it and guarantee an alternate filter won't harm the engine. Could they get one that would thread on and fit? Sure, but they can稚 guarantee it will work correctly without knowing the specs on the Mahindra filter. They don稚 know how many microns it is or what the designed flow rate is. Is it 5 micron, 10, 15? You could just say get me the filter with the finest level of microns BUT you risk it not being able to flow enough oil which could put the filter into bypass, essentially not correctly filtering of the oil at all. Obviously too coarse of a filter might not capture the particulates it should be catching. Basically without that very specific info you risk severely damaging your engine.

You can do whatever you want but it seems like it would be penny wise, pound foolish to try to save $15 on a filter and damage a several thousand dollar engine. I don't dispute there is likely a Wix or some other filter that is far superior to the Mahindra one but until they are willing to say it will work correctly I値l just keep spending the $26 on the Mahindra ones.
Oh I agree fully. I've got a couple Mahindra brand ones now. They just run about $18 here. You can cross reference it right on Wix filters site. I bought a Wix XP. Gonna try it out.