Mowing Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #1  

Tpondel

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 3033r
I have a 5' but thinking of something wider. Any experience with how wide it will run?

thanks.

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #2  
I have a 5' but thinking of something wider. Any experience with how wide it will run?

thanks.
It depends what you are cutting. I like 5' on tractors up to 50HP. At that power level a compact high duty bushog will cut virtually anything. You can certainly go with less power/ft width but thick grass especially will call for low travel speed to avoid bogging.

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #3  
a 12" increase may require slower speeds for an even cut in heavy growth, putting into question cost effectiveness of a new mower. Do you have a fel as counterweight for a heavier mower? are you on slopes? imho, given your hp/size, i'd stick with 5'. the case could be made for a lighter 6' finish mower, but finish mowers can't withstand the heavy duty use that a conventional mower is designed for.

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #4  
From my not too long ago shopping experience with Deere, the 3 series tractors are supposed to be able to handle a 5' mower. The 4 series I decided to buy can run a 6' mower. and yes very thick stuff has to be mowed at a slower speed...

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #5  
In terms of tractor size/weight/lift capacity.....you can handle most 6' mowers and even the lighter offset 7' twin spindles.

The question becomes the ~25PTO HP.

I have used both a 6' and a 7' offset behind a gear drive L3400 with 29pto HP. And NEVER had to touch 1st or 2nd gear. And only in the thickest of stuff required 3rd and 4th gears.

If you have a HST, you can go as slow as you need for the power you have, so no concerns.

The question is.....WHY are you wanting bigger? How does your 5' mower do? IF you are finding that you have to slow down frequently due to lack of power, a 6' mower is gonna be even worse. But if you have ample power for the cutting you do and find yourself slowing down frequently due to terrain, and rough fields.....then absolutely a 6' mower would save you some time.

Think of it like this.....a 5' mower at 5MPH will cover the same ground and cut the same acres per hour as a 6' mower at just a tick over 4mph. Wider and slower makes for a smoother ride.

But if you are slowing down to 4 MPH anyway because the field is rough put still have plenty of power....you are making use of all the HP at your disposal. Going to a 6' mower and being able to mow the same speed will increase your rate of cut.

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #6  
this is a forum mostly of sub & compact utility tractors. i have always been impressed just how many owners push their equipment to the max, sometimes over, in trying to extend their machine's capacity.

assume you're considering a 3ph 6' rather than drag type. if you go the 6' route, just be prepared to go slower & do frequent blade sharpening. keep an eye on the temp gauge as well & take care on slopes...In addition, would not recommend going a lighter duty on 6' to save weight.
good luck with your decision, let us know how it goes. respectfully,

Last edited:
   / Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #7  
Big bubba has a point about pushing the limits of your tractor. This is why I went with a 4 series instead of a 3. Also why I did not need the extra capacity of a 5 series. I listened to what the Deere dealer told me about the mower sizes.

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #8  
I think you'll be happiest with 60" max. If you're planning for spring, the WICKED option on the EA 60" Brush Cutter is something unlike anything else in the industry!
Travis

Here's a vid I made about it..

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #9  
I have used a 7' Woods grooming mower for rotary cutter use behind 35 h.p. tractor. Speed & height setting is in the recipe. Blade sharpness is a primary 'win'. Best performance is from a 76" triple blade rear discharge front mower on my 22 hp JD F-935. The rear discharge also uses less fuel. You can tell from the absence of governor intervention. Before the 76" deck came along, a 72" side discharge on the 935 got plugged frequently and made windrows that took a long time to rot away.

My suggestion would be to get a mower wider than your tractor wheels by a foot or so. Keep blades sharp. That also means a mower that gets you easy access to the blades. I made a carriage for my twin-post car lift to raise up the 935 so I can swap a 2nd set of blades out in 5 minutes.

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #10  
this is a forum mostly of sub & compact utility tractors. i have always been impressed just how many owners push their equipment to the max, sometimes over, in trying to extend their machine's capacity.

assume you're considering a 3ph 6' rather than drag type. if you go the 6' route, just be prepared to go slower & do frequent blade sharpening. keep an eye on the temp gauge as well & take care on slopes...In addition, would not recommend going a lighter duty on 6' to save weight.
good luck with your decision, let us know how it goes. respectfully,
Im just the opposite. I am constantly surprised by just how undersized people usually run, or is suggested, for implements.

HST as well as modern gear transmissions is a game changer. Too many people of the mindset of tractors half a century ago where 1st gear was 3mph and second was 5mph then a jump to 8mph for 3rd.

But with most modern tractors, and having 4 gears under 4mph....or even better, a HST.....makes better use of the HP.

Everyone wants to run a small cutter because they think mowing fast (5-6mph) is the way to go. I'll take slow and wide any day over fast and narrow.

In the OP's case, its a 3000# tractor with more than 2000# lift capacity out back. It will handle a ~800# medium duty 6' cutter with ease in terms of weight. If a 10% bigger cutter makes you go 10% slower thats a win in my book. Slower easier ride and more time to react.

If you aint running out of HP and bogging you aint using all your HP. Upsize the implement til you can.

You see a farmer pulling a 20' batwing on a 100hp (80pto) tractor and no one bats an eye. But balk at the notion of a 6' cutter on a 30hp or slightly less machine:unsure: