Hmmm....

The Ford 3.0L Diesel is listed at 250 hp @ 3,250 rpm
The RAM 3.0L Diesel is listed at 260 hp @ 3,600 rpm
The GMC 3.0L Diesel is listed at 305 hp @ 3,750 rpm
The RAM 3.6L Gas is listed at 305 hp @ 6,350 rpm
The Titan 5.0L Diesel is listed at 310 hp @ 3,200 rpm
The RAM 5.7L Gas is listed at 395 hp @ 5,600 rpm
The RAM 5.9L Diesel is listed at 160 hp at 2,500 rpm to 235 hp at 2,700 rpm
The RAM 6.7L Diesel is listed at 370 to 400 HP at 2800 RPM.

There is a lot of talk about low end torque vs hp, but a lot of that can be dealt with a good transmission.

There certainly are better downstream parts on the heavier pickups. Nonetheless, the 1500 series pickups aren't toys either. I tow a lot with mine.

The 1500 will be able to do a lot of grocery runs!!!
You left out the 5.7 and 6.2 Ram gassers.

But while 1500s can be rated to tow quite a bit, I won't do it. Grocery runs are really more their style - unless you go to Costco and buy a lot of them.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #172  
You left out the 5.7 and 6.2 Ram gassers.

But while 1500s can be rated to tow quite a bit, I won't do it. Grocery runs are really more their style - unless you go to Costco and buy a lot of them.

There are more engines. You did quote "5.7L" above which is used in a variety of vehicles from the 1500 to the 2500 to the 3500, and I believe is the same engine for the different pickups, but hopefully with gas specific transmissions.

I hadn't run into the 6.2L gas Supercharged at 702 hp RAM 1500. A bit silly to pick up one's groceries.

There is also a 6.4L gas engine at 410 hp that they put into their 2500 Power Wagon 2500. I thought they didn't put the diesel into the Power Wagon, but it appears as if it now has one. I wonder how long until the Power Wagon gets that supercharged engine????

I included mostly current engines except the 5.0L Nissan and the 5.9L Cummins which made good reference vehicles, especially if one claims their old mechanical Cummins is the best available.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #173  
Hmmm....

The Ford 3.0L Diesel is listed at 250 hp @ 3,250 rpm
The RAM 3.0L Diesel is listed at 260 hp @ 3,600 rpm
The GMC 3.0L Diesel is listed at 305 hp @ 3,750 rpm
The RAM 3.6L Gas is listed at 305 hp @ 6,350 rpm
The Titan 5.0L Diesel is listed at 310 hp @ 3,200 rpm
The RAM 5.7L Gas is listed at 395 hp @ 5,600 rpm
The RAM 5.9L Diesel is listed at 160 hp at 2,500 rpm to 235 hp at 2,700 rpm
The RAM 6.7L Diesel is listed at 370 to 400 HP at 2800 RPM.

There is a lot of talk about low end torque vs hp, but a lot of that can be dealt with a good transmission.

There certainly are better downstream parts on the heavier pickups. Nonetheless, the 1500 series pickups aren't toys either. I tow a lot with mine. I cut it off somewhere around 8K to 10K, and it does quite well. I've thought about 15K, although Oregon wants a "T" license to tow trailers at over 8K (will probably fudge a little, but 20K would be too much). Plus, a monster trailer would be mighty pushy for a smaller pickup. Wheelie anybody? And the little 3.6L gas engine struggles to hold the trailer back going downhill.

Anyway, unless one is doing a lot of long hill climbs, one typically isn't sitting at 100% power, and one can let off of the accelerator a bit when crossing the continental divide. I'll do pedal to the metal to get my trailer up to freeway speeds, but that only lasts a few seconds before I let off of the power.

One has to look at the engine, but also all the downstream parts, engine, transmission, driveline, rear-end, springs, and even the frame.

Also lots of changes over time. My 3.6L V6 might almost challenge an old 327 Corvette. But, even the old 3/4 and 1 ton pickups are a far cry from what we have today.

But, choose the pickup for the task.

The 1500 will be able to do a lot of grocery runs!!!

Your 5.9L diesel number must be from the old 12 valve from the 90’s. The 5.9l in my 2006 is rated at 325hp

And I think we all know that just horsepower isn’t everything when it comes to work achieved in a truck. Outside of pickups, the class 4-7 trucks are derated with lower HP and TQ numbers, but have higher GVW and GCW ratings.

Put that 3.6l V6 in a 3500 and it will be taxed just pushing around the empty 8,000lb truck, and die a quick death with 15k behind it.

And yes, I do agree that transmissions and axle ratios can have a significant effect on performance

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #174  
Jeep Wranglers have never had IFS. Solid front axle...and it still wanders going down the road and still subject to death wobble, even new.

Been a Jeep Wrangler owner most of my life...still own a 2006 Rubicon. Only because it is street legal but can still navigate some really gnarly terrain; modified like mine is, it can get into areas not accessible by anything else except maybe a helicopter. Works good on our Search and Rescue missions.

Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket....I've found that to be pretty accurate.
My Liberty has IFS. Handling is very good, but it’s racking up the miles with over 270k. Still runs great, but I typically sell at around 300k miles. My next Jeep will be a Wrangler with all the quirks you describe. Why? Just because I’ve always wanted one. I’ve had 2 Liberties and one Cherokee, all sold at around 300K miles. None needed any major repairs except for a cracked exhaust manifold on the Cherokee. But I want a Wrangler, just because. I have other vehicles that are better for long road trips. My Dodge 2500 is actually a pretty comfortable road trip vehicle.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #175  
My Liberty has IFS. Handling is very good, but it’s racking up the miles with over 270k. Still runs great, but I typically sell at around 300k miles. My next Jeep will be a Wrangler with all the quirks you describe. Why? Just because I’ve always wanted one. I’ve had 2 Liberties and one Cherokee, all sold at around 300K miles. None needed any major repairs except for a cracked exhaust manifold on the Cherokee. But I want a Wrangler, just because. I have other vehicles that are better for long road trips. My Dodge 2500 is actually a pretty comfortable road trip vehicle.
We have had 4 Wranglers.. and more CJs than i can count. .. The new wrangler is a real nice vehicle to drive.. The current version is fairly refined as apposed to the previous versions.. Power seats are now available which is very nice.. Also, the one touch soft top is great

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #176  
Your 5.9L diesel number must be from the old 12 valve from the 90’s. The 5.9l in my 2006 is rated at 325hp
Here was the source...

Many changes over the years. I didn't notice that Automatic and Manual transmissions had different power output for the engines.

I see the last couple of years of the 5.9 had the power up to 325 hp.

(2004.5 - 2007) 325 hp at 2,900 rpm. A fairly narrow window of vehicles considering the entire history, but likely worth it.

I'm trying to figure out which engine to put into a Grumman van conversion that I want to use for towing. I'm considering several options from electric to gas to diesel, hopefully without breaking the bank. I'm hoping for reasonable fuel efficiency.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #177  
It looks like I've blown out some bearings on my RAM 1500 front differential. So much for IFS. Now I have to figure out how to dig the thing out, and hope it can be rebuilt. I guess at least that isn't indestructible.

Sometimes I wonder why locking/unlocking hubs were forgotten. Yes, perhaps a pain to jump out and change them, but fewer parts moving 100% of the time.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #178  
We want to get a Gladiator rubicon. I really wanted the little diesel.
Just because.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #179  
We want to get a Gladiator rubicon. I really wanted the little diesel.
Just because.

They are kinda cool. My youngest has the Rubicon diesel and my middle son has the Mojave gas.

18945.jpeg