Buying Advice Mccormick C80L

/ Mccormick C80L #1  

Storm56

Platinum Member
Tractor
N/A
Hello to all! - I do not post here much but I read the forums several times a week. Looking to add a tractor to the stable. Currenly have a JD 4700 with loader/backhoe that has been excellent.

Looking for something a little bigger for tillage, planting, etc. Came across the CL series from Mccormick and they seem to have most of the features I am looking for. Dealer says he can get a C80L with an L120 loader at what appears to be a very good price.

I have searched high and low for info on these machines and cannot seem to find any bad. What say the boys at the forum?

/ Mccormick C80L
Well I guess nobody knows anything about this tractor. The dealer got one in and today I went and looked it over and drove it a bit. Pretty smooth operator and very nice build quality. Perkins 3 cylinder turbo, 74 HP, loader, 2 remotes, MFWD, 12 speed sync shuttle, and some other goodies all for under 30 G's. Lot of tractor for the dollar, all brand new with a full warranty. I do believe it has found a new home!

/ Mccormick C80L #3  
I checked out the McCormicks and was really impressed. I am still researching tractors but my biggest concern is just what you said "Well I guess nobody knows anything about this tractor". It has scared me off a little because there is really no talk about them and that makes me think they may get orphaned.

/ Mccormick C80L
Logdog - Mccormick came back into the tractor scene about 10 years ago, so they are not just something introduced. They are made in Italy to Mccormick specs and appear to be from the same plant as Landini, which also makes a very good tractor.

Mccormick itself has been around since 1837 so there is quite a bit of longevity with the comapny. I do not think you have to worry about them just disappearing.

I also talked to some owners that have had their tractors for some time and none of them ever had any trouble or had anything bad to say about them. All stated they would buy another when the time came. Hard to get a much better rec than that.

/ Mccormick C80L #5  
My understanding was they were made by LS to McCormick specs in Korea. I also understand the current brand is not the same as the old one. My grandfather had all McCormicks but they were from the 50s. That being said when I look at other tractors I end up comparing them to the McCormick. I look at the size of the componants and the specs and the the McCormick usually wins out. I havent eliminated them but I do have my concerns. For example the dealer close to me is the only one for almost 200 miles.

I wholeheartedly agree they are an awesome deal with great features and specs. It is just the intangibles that keep me from pulling the trigger. I am kind of a worry wart sometimes.

/ Mccormick C80L
Logdog - I am not sure what line you are talking about that may be made in Korea, possibly the compact utilities, CT line? But I can assure you that the utility and larger lines are made in Italy.

/ Mccormick C80L #7  
Yes, I was looking at the CT line. I test drove the CT 41. I suddenly realize I was talking apples to your oranges.

/ Mccormick C80L
Did not research the CT line however I did look one over a bit while I was at the dealer. It also is a nice looking tractor. A dealer means a lot. The dealer that I am working with is a long time 3 generation family business in a small community. You do not survive that long if you handle junk and pull shady deals. I would not be afraid of that machine.

I really like John Deere, however in this case I could not justify the extra coin. The tractor I am getting is a 2009 left over model and they have discontinued that line so they want to move it thus the price is very competitive. A comparable green machine was well over $15,000 more dollars. Even used Deere's were more than what I am paying.

Now of course a current model year tractor in the new model line is more competitively priced with the JD. But the new model has things I do not want in a tractor, like more electronic controls and such that the average dude does not have the tools to fix.

But back to the point, I would look again at the Mccormick.

/ Mccormick C80L #9  
Storm56 the c80l is indeed a landini build tractor built for McCormick it is nice build schultle shift tractor thease tractors are very reliable I sold one two weeks ago and orderded two more back - -good luck- -dave

/ Mccormick C80L #10  
According to my dealer, Landini bought the McCormick name 20 years ago, with the proviso that they not re-introduce the McCormick name for at least 20 years. That time is now up, and Landini (and LS Tractors that are producing the McCormicks and Landinis I think up to 47 hp) is now selling McCormicks that are identical in every way but color to the Landinis. I have a 41 hp Landini (blue, made by LS) and my neightbour bought a 47 hp McCormick (red, made by LS), from the same dealer, and they are otherwise identical in every way possible. (I've had mine for a year, very satisfied, the neighbour just got his 2 weeks ago).

Can't opine on the bigger ones! :)