Members in their 70s?

/ Members in their 70s? #51  
I am 14 months shy of qualifying to post in this conversation, so please bear with me.

I have a salt substitute that I like.
I like it in cooking but I would rather have real table salt on popcorn, corn-on-the-cob, etc.

5 teaspoons onion powder
3 teaspoons garlic powder
3 teaspoons ground mustard
3 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon white pepper

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Use to season meats or vegetables.

/ Members in their 70s? #52  
71 pushing 72 and still pretty much doing what I want when I want. One of the fortunate few who do not take any prescription drugs.

Advice?

In my career I dealt with death on an almost daily basis and saw folks on what was the worst day of their lives. That makes you realize that all the issues you think are important really aren't. In other words don't sweat the small **** and unless someone has died, or will shortly, or you lost everything you own, it's probably small ****.

I was a runner in my earlier days and I'm glad I gave it up since my running buddies are getting knee replacements now. For years the DW and I walked 5 miles a day, but that has passed as well and now I'm doing closer to one or two miles a a day. In other words try to stay in reasonable shape.

Be realistic about your "wanna do" projects. Many of us have far more projects than years left and still keep taking on more.

Make sure your wife or significant other will be cared for if and when you aren't around.

Spend as much time with the grand kids as you can, but remember you raised your kids and earned a life to enjoy doing what you want and not being a parent to your grand kids is probably on the list.

Spend some money now to make family memories instead of leaving it for them later.

And most important be happy! All the ranting and raving in the world will not change whatever it is you don't like about the world so let it go. Make and keep friends. Never try to each a pig to sing. All it does is piss off the pig and get you frustrated. Be generous with your time and money if you can afford it. Be curious. Follow the Golden Rule.

/ Members in their 70s? #53  
71 pushing 72 and still pretty much doing what I want when I want. One of the fortunate few who do not take any prescription drugs.

Advice?

In my career I dealt with death on an almost daily basis and saw folks on what was the worst day of their lives. That makes you realize that all the issues you think are important really aren't. In other words don't sweat the small **** and unless someone has died, or will shortly, or you lost everything you own, it's probably small ****.

I was a runner in my earlier days and I'm glad I gave it up since my running buddies are getting knee replacements now. For years the DW and I walked 5 miles a day, but that has passed as well and now I'm doing closer to one or two miles a a day. In other words try to stay in reasonable shape.

Be realistic about your "wanna do" projects. Many of us have far more projects than years left and still keep taking on more.

Make sure your wife or significant other will be cared for if and when you aren't around.

Spend as much time with the grand kids as you can, but remember you raised your kids and earned a life to enjoy doing what you want and not being a parent to your grand kids is probably on the list.

Spend some money now to make family memories instead of leaving it for them later.

And most important be happy! All the ranting and raving in the world will not change whatever it is you don't like about the world so let it go. Make and keep friends. Never try to each a pig to sing. All it does is piss off the pig and get you frustrated. Be generous with your time and money if you can afford it. Be curious. Follow the Golden Rule.

Good post!

/ Members in their 70s? #55  
There are a lot of good posts on many threads here on TBN....I should use the (y) button more often....except I can't see well enough to make sure the correct finger is sticking up.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Members in their 70s? #57  
When I was 63 I was not on any prescription drugs, nor had I even been to a doctor in over 10 years. All my money was tied up in my business and I had no health insurance until I retired and sold my business. Then I could afford to go to doctors and went for a checkup. They found I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol and started me on pills. Of course, by then it was too late, my arteries were already starting to stop up causing high blood pressure. If I had been on statins many years sooner, my pipes would have been much cleaner and I might have avoided many problems.

/ Members in their 70s?
When I was 63 I was not on any prescription drugs, nor had I even been to a doctor in over 10 years. All my money was tied up in my business and I had no health insurance until I retired and sold my business. Then I could afford to go to doctors and went for a checkup. They found I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol and started me on pills. Of course, by then it was too late, my arteries were already starting to stop up causing high blood pressure. If I had been on statins many years sooner, my pipes would have been much cleaner and I might have avoided many problems.
Statins are very good… for the bottom line of the pharmaceutical company. Cholesterol is essential to brain function. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Alzheimer’s cases have skyrocketed since statin use has become ubiquitous.

/ Members in their 70s? #59  
How do you know these things? I've not seen any "proofs" that there are miracles to be had in this regard.

But, IF such convictions give you a sense of well being, I am happy for you.
My experience with allopathic medicine is much different.

I did just get back from a 8 mile bicycle ride. It was COLD out there! ;-)

I eat vegetarian, nothing that wriggles, flys or walks for 50 years now.
No prescriptions for me. The wife takes calcium for her bones.

/ Members in their 70s? #60  
I eat vegetarian, nothing that wriggles, flys or walks for 50 years now.
To each his own and I wish you a long, happy life free of diseases or injuries.

I have been blessed with genetics but any of us could go at anytime.

At 66 I have been retired 4 years and keep busy with rental property, volunteer work and a small beef cattle operation. I have never had any medical issues except appendix removed about 45 years ago. I have never had a cavity in my permanent teeth. I am on no medication. My Dad and his brother both lived into their 90’s. Several aunts lived to 100+.
My remaining aunt is currently in her 90’s and takes no medication.

All ate meat, rarely drank alcohol, smoked but gave it up by the time they were 50, worked and raised families and stayed married except for one who married and divorced 4 times.
My grandmother gave birth to 8 children who all lived long lives. She was 94 when she died of old age. She still had good eyesight and read her Bible regularly. She played dominoes with the “old folks” at the home where she lived. She made the best scrambled eggs and bacon I ever had in my life.
They never tried as far as I know to do anything special health wise. They were just healthy, pioneer stock.

I try not to take unnecessary risks but I’ve had some close calls over the years. My hope is to live past 90.