Metal cutting of clean painted square tube

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #31  
HF sells a 1hp band saw for $260 before discounts that has 4 star average reviews. We use lube sticks at work for small jobs, the wax stays on the blade until contact is made with the material being cut. When heat is generated it becomes a lubricating liquid.

Kevin

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube
I guess I should have expected such clear consensus here on TBN! I think you guys have almost got me convinced - a metal cutting band saw. EXCEPT, that I think I'll use short 10"-11" long sections of blade fastened securely in a frame.

l_90220.jpg

A good secure clamping fixture, a little stick lube, and I'll be all ready for some needed upper-body workout. Did I mention that SPEED is not a significant consideration?

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #33  
I guess I should have expected such clear consensus here on TBN! I think you guys have almost got me convinced - a metal cutting band saw. EXCEPT, that I think I'll use short 10"-11" long sections of blade fastened securely in a frame.

View attachment 528279

A good secure clamping fixture, a little stick lube, and I'll be all ready for some needed upper-body workout. Did I mention that SPEED is not a significant consideration?

Good Choice.

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #34  

View attachment 528279

That will work as long as;

1. the cuts don't have to be perfectly square
2. you have the time
3. you have the energy

If you have quality blades and a good frame you should have no problem. Keep us updated!

Kevin

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #35  
I think you can skip the stick lube and just make sure you have plenty "elbow grease" :laughing:
It's prolly very thin wall and you'll whip right through them! :thumbsup:

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #37  

View attachment 528279

Good Gord man! You're passing up an opportunity to buy another shiny tool?? We're gonna have to revoke your man card if you do that too many times... :laughing:

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #38  
Call the company and ask what you should use to cut them. Im sure they cut them all the time and will be able to direct you to the correct method.

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #39  
That variable speed saws all your post says you already have would work just fine if you have the material secured. Your knee on top and a towel or porch rug or that ever to stop scratches on the bottom. Vice work fine also if padded. You can run it same speed as the hand held hack saw if you need to. Bit faster not hurt. Just keep the speed down. Much easier and faster. I prefer a band saw but have sure used a saws all more than once on metal fencing. Up to 6 inch post a few times, although the blades do not last to many cuts.....

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #40  
I'm the Quality Manager for a tube fabrication company, and I can tell you that we have three basic methods of cutting tube here:

1. Laser cutter - precise, not going to be friendly to a finish coating, and obviously very expensive
2. Metal cutting band saw - how the bulk of our materials are cut, mostly on two large industrial HEM saws
3. Cold saw - not ideal with large quantities, and clamping can damage any finish

That hack saw is definitely the economical way to go. Use a miter box to help keep straighter cuts.