Metal Detectors

/ Metal Detectors #11  
Be sure to read your local regs on metal detecting. Some places are off limits. Also read up on ARPA (archeological protection act). You don't want to run afoul of that either... I own a Whites Eagle Spectrum. Haven't been in ages but really enjoyed it.

/ Metal Detectors #12  
Be sure to read your local regs on metal detecting. Some places are off limits. Also read up on ARPA (archeological protection act). You don't want to run afoul of that either... I own a Whites Eagle Spectrum. Haven't been in ages but really enjoyed it.

Good points to consider. I wonder how the ARPA guidelines would fall for lands that were deeded private before the Revolutionary War. I'm not good at "legalese" and wonder about their "definition" of "Indian Lands". Wasn't it all at one time?

/ Metal Detectors #13  
I got a Cobra Beach Magnet, even works in water.

/ Metal Detectors #14  
I too have an old White, but the battery pack is toast. Found ancient shotgun shot, old old cans (unidentifiable, mostly, but the heavy old ones), and one (1) absolutely legit gold nugget about the size of an aphid up in Mariposa. Also square nails and other 19th or early 20th century hardware, some indefinable. I was unable to retire on the proceeds from my nugget but still have it for when gold hits $5000 the ounce.

I was actually just thinking about alternative power sources as the thing did seem to work. It was fussy and I imagine they're a little better now. I would just like to find all the linch pins I have lost around the place.

/ Metal Detectors #15  
I have an old Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter that's pushing 20 years old. I have found some old silver jewelry (silver plated) an 1865 1/2 penny, newer coins, old empty cartridges, horse shoes, nails, a lot of misc. items and a what seems like a million pull tabs.

The half cent had the face with the date but the back side had been filed smooth and had a hole punched in it. A little research showed that it used to be the custom to file the tail side of the coin smooth then scribe your girl friends name on it. They would then punch a hole and wear it as a necklace.

I have not got it out for a while but you have got me back in the mood. I could replace the old Bounty Hunter but it still works good and it runs off of 4, 9 volt batteries so bad battery packs are not a problem.

/ Metal Detectors #16  
I've had 2 in the last 5 years, both from Harbor F. The first one was the 6 function $40 dollar model; used it to clean up roofing nails after having the house shingled, ended up giving it to a friend afterwards. The 2nd one was the 9 function $45 dollar model (moving up in the world); got that one a few months ago. Again for yard cleanup. This time it was stripping and replacing the vinyl siding that left tire popping debris everywhere. Everyone says "well why don't you use a magnet" which is/was a great idea until I found aluminum and stainless hardware.

I forgot how many nails I found for the roofing job, but I'm up to 7 lbs from the siding and I'm still not done. With 2 trailers, a lawn tractor, a compact tractor, a dune buggy, my pickup & the wife's jeep frequently traversing the yard I can only imagine how many headaches those detectors have prevented. Other than the nails / screws I found 1 penny, 2 hex nuts, a cotter pin.

/ Metal Detectors #17  
Found a knife I lost also found that they will detect steel toe boots :( which makes you think you found your knife. That was a long day....

/ Metal Detectors #18  
I have a Whites Prizm 4 detector. I've used it once on my property ( really old, 1892, homestead) to see what I could find. Nails, old metal cans, nuts/bolts - things you would expect to find. I've never tried cleaning all the nails/spikes from around the old homestead buildings - too many buildings, too much metal junk. I just keep all vehicles away from that area. The main reason I have the detector is to find the stuff I drop when working on my equipment. Nuts, bolts, tools etc. Its amazing how fast stuff becomes lost when dropped.

The detector works great at finding most anything. I've had the wife place objects - washers, coins, gold jewelry - and I have no problem finding them.

/ Metal Detectors #19  
I've got a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. Haven't quite learned how to filter out junk as I don't use it enough.

/ Metal Detectors #20  
You should concentrate on the best spots when doing homesteads. Prime spots are the mailbox (They used pennies for postage), The outhouse path... Cause your dropping trousers while in route, and the best... the clothes line for obvious reasons. Most city homesteads burned their garbage in the backyard... so it usually means the clothes line wasn't there...