MF1528 how to examine driveshaft? No more 4x4

/ MF1528 how to examine driveshaft? No more 4x4 #1  

tgrashopper

Bronze Member
Tractor
massey Furgeson 1528
I notice that I do not have 4x4 anymore on my Mf1528. I'm told to remouve the driveshaft cover to inspect the drive shaft.

Anyone has a diagram of the bolt that need to be remouve?

/ MF1528 how to examine driveshaft? No more 4x4
I see now that it's a sleave. One bolt to losen and there are 2 sleave that retract with palet on them.

Assuming they need to be turn to be release?

Any one as a diagram?

I'm visual and love to have procedure and diagram.

/ MF1528 how to examine driveshaft? No more 4x4 #3  
Leave it in 4x4. Jack one front wheel up and turn/rotate by hand. Look to find the problem.

Leave it in 4x4. Jack one front wheel up and turn/rotate by hand. Look to find the problem.
Sorry, i dont understand how can this help finding the problem.

When ingage i know that i have no traction in the front. The shifter switch from 4x4 to 2x4 no problem. I'm told to look at the drive shaft first. It could be broken and strip.

The shaft is cover by a sleave like a PTO shaft. I have to remouve that sleave. I belibed i have found the procedure in a book that I paid 39$... and most of the book information is useless.

I'm told the issue could also be in the front axel or in the shift leaver.

/ MF1528 how to examine driveshaft? No more 4x4 #5  
I work at Kubota. So if you can't get to the shaft easy, jack up a tire and turn it. If you don't have 4x4 it will spin when it should not. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

/ MF1528 how to examine driveshaft? No more 4x4 #6  
I had a MF 1528. The front axle is a known problem with them. The front drive shaft is very small in diameter. There are only 2 small bolts that are used to attach the front axle to the frame. They allow the front axle to move very easily. When the axle moves it will brake the front drive shaft. The hole front axle assemble is very fragile.

This is all I could find for a parts catalogue

https://parts.agcocorp.com/en_US/apbsearch?q=masseyferguson/651791/l&name=1528+/+1531+TRACTOR

It has been to long ago.

/ MF1528 how to examine driveshaft? No more 4x4 #7  
Google, or search here on TBN, for your tractor model's 4wd issue. At least 4 going back to 2013. Seems like a weak front axle mount can allow movement to disengage or break the driveshaft parts.

I'll take a look at the front axel bolt.

I have dissamble the drive shaft tonight. One snap ring was disangage en bended. The bolt that hold the drive shaft casing was also damage. I could see that previus owner had issue with that.

I was eable to put evrything back togeter and with the sleeve push to the end the snap ring fit perfect. No lose

I'm asuning the front axel is where it should be. Otherwise the shaft would to short.

I'm suspecting that it was badly assemble by last owner but i'll take a look at the front axel.

Any one have picture of those bolt?

I had a MF 1528. The front axle is a known problem with them. The front drive shaft is very small in diameter. There are only 2 small bolts that are used to attach the front axle to the frame. They allow the front axle to move very easily. When the axle moves it will brake the front drive shaft. The hole front axle assemble is very fragile.

This is all I could find for a parts catalogue

Search masseyferguson/651791/l | Shop AGCO Parts

It has been to long ago.
On my phone the link does not work. I'll try it on my computer when I get back from cotage.

I'll inspect those axel bolt. Assuming it's pready obvius when looking at the tractor.

Any idea what TQ they should be at?

/ MF1528 how to examine driveshaft? No more 4x4 #10  
If that's what is actually going on, then it could be bolt stretch or a bent axle mount. A few comments about 2 bolts not sufficient to hold the axle properly. Would be pulled off the tranny end because if the axle end, it would flop around with loud noises.