Mice eating my potatoes in the ground

/ Mice eating my potatoes in the ground #1  

Jeff Lary

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2950
Has anyone ever had field mice move into their potatoe rows? A few years ago i uncovered a family or two while digging my potatoes .Kind of cute i said cool even.
Well last year I lost at least 40% of my Russet and Superior potatoes to mice. They had eatin almost the entire potatoe.They would leave just the skin all hollowed out. They did leave most of my Pontiac reds alone " guess they dont prefer the reds" I plan on putting some sort of mouse poison in and around my hills after I do some research.Please if you have had this happen let me know what you did. Had 3- 50' rows got the equilevent of about 1- 70' row lost the rest to the Mice.

/ Mice eating my potatoes in the ground #2  
Please do your research, one reason mice are used for experiments is that they have similar issues as humans. What will kill the mice may kill you too.

What are these mice feeding on the rest of the year? I would be more interested in getting rid of them and worry about potatoes later.

/ Mice eating my potatoes in the ground #3  
Sounds like you are infested with them and the only way to rid them is poison. Check with your local feed store or the Agg. agent. Good Luck

/ Mice eating my potatoes in the ground #4  
Did you leave alot of ground cover for them in and around your tater patch?

Mice don't like to travel or stay out in the open where they are exposed to predators. Keeping the ground cover down in the area may help some of their natural enemies to keep an eye on your crop for you.

My other thought is: Are you hilling them with some kind of mulch that compliments the whites better than the reds?:)

/ Mice eating my potatoes in the ground
Yes and No ,
First thanks to all that replied i hope more do.I did let the weeds go wild in between the hills and i thought the same as you .I figure the tall weeds gave them a perfect home ,gotta try to get a tiller to keep ahead of them.No the hills are earth only, no mulch.Yea i know about their similarity with humans we have Jackson Lab here in maine they raise mice for just such a use.But i could do with a little self poisioning if i can get rid of them and have my taters as well.At least my kinfolk would eat good,.....for awhile

/ Mice eating my potatoes in the ground #6  
They will raise under all types of cover. I had a family of them under my big thick styrofoam target, which was flat on the ground.Plus a bonus of some moles too. your county agent should be able to help you choose the poison, so you won't suffer later, or leave residue in your ground.?.

good ideas all around thanks

/ Mice eating my potatoes in the ground #8  
Where do they live during the winter would be my question. If they are living in the ground then breaking the garden a couple of times during the winter might get ride of them. If they are living somewhere around the garden during the winter then I would look for that area and set out some poison.

Not an option 3 feet of snow ground frozen 4' deep

/ Mice eating my potatoes in the ground #10  
You sure they are mice? Or maybe voles? Long or short tails? Just curious.