Mig porosity out of nowhere?

/ Mig porosity out of nowhere?
   / Mig porosity out of nowhere? #32  
I thought than non chlorinated brake cleaner was fine.

/ Mig porosity out of nowhere? #33  
I had that problem on one particular weld at the inside of a 45 degree angle and I found I had to turn the gas down to get it to stay around the weld. this was in a tight area with obstacles around it and I guess the high volume of gas was creating turbulence and not shielding properly. turned the gas down a little and the next weld turned out good.

/ Mig porosity out of nowhere? #34  
I had that problem on one particular weld at the inside of a 45 degree angle and I found I had to turn the gas down to get it to stay around the weld. this was in a tight area with obstacles around it and I guess the high volume of gas was creating turbulence and not shielding properly. turned the gas down a little and the next weld turned out good.
That is an interesting thought/tip to try. Thanks.

/ Mig porosity out of nowhere? #35  
Brake cleaner is deadly, 40 years of welding and I would've never guessed that........first I heard of it.

Also my method of removing oil off steel is 6011, but on aluminum, from this day forward if I do weld on aluminum, wont be using brake cleaner, and since 6011 is out of the question, I'll just go with sanding, heating or throwing.

Last edited:
   / Mig porosity out of nowhere? #36  
Brake cleaner is deadly, 40 years of welding and I would've never guessed that........first I heard of it.

Also my method of removing oil off steel is 6011, but on aluminum, from this day forward if I do weld on aluminum, wont be using brake cleaner, and since 6011 is out of the question, I'll just go with sanding, heating or throwing.

Really just the chlorinated brake cleaner to be worried about.

I use acetone instead, works very well and is cheap.

/ Mig porosity out of nowhere? #37  
Really just the chlorinated brake cleaner to be worried about.

I use acetone instead, works very well and is cheap.
I'm an Acetone fan too. Use for bare metal cleaning. But I do use brake cleaner on the tractor and on other painted surfaces to wipe/clean off grease and grime.

/ Mig porosity out of nowhere? #38  
I'm an Acetone fan too. Use for bare metal cleaning. But I do use brake cleaner on the tractor and on other painted surfaces to wipe/clean off grease and grime.

I do too, but I buy the non chlorinated kinds - fortunately for me the local brands have "chlorine free" in large print that I can read even without my glasses :)

But for welding I use acetone much more often.