Might have used the Kubota...maybe!

/ Might have used the Kubota...maybe! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I took my oldest son down to pick up his VW GTI where he had new tires put on. I drove the '66 mustang that I just replaced the EFI fuel pump on. It's nice to have EFI on a classic car. Gives it lots of juice...except after I dropped him off and was headed to the dreaded walmart to pick up some stuff the red head needed...the AC quit working/volts dropped on the volt meter/temp gauge started going up. I figured it was the alt. belt as I had just adjusted it/tightened it up a little because it had been squealing on startup. I quickly pulled over into a CVS drug store parking lot and popped the hood to lookiesee. Hmmm, AC and Alt belts just hanging there...got to looking closer and the dad gum water pump pulley had broken at the point of attachment where the four small nuts/bolts hold it to the water pump. That put a quick halt on things. I quickly called him to turn around and come to get me. No parts stores had a WP pulley in stock, I didn't really expect them too. It was about 18 miles back to the farm, so we head back so I could dig around in the spare parts for the mustang and maybe find another WP pulley. Bingo, had one so back we go and I changed it out in about 30 min. or so. But, the old one was a two sheave pulley for the AC/Alt. The one I was having to re-use is a one sheave. So no AC belt. Hmmm, it doesn't line up very well with the Alt. Very crooked, but maybe it will get me back home. It made it. Did I mention that I always wanted to replace said water pump pulley when it was broad daylight in a CVS parking lot with the sun beating down on me at 100F according to the sign on the bank (with no shade)...the weather guy confirmed this on the news tonight. Then I had to drive home with no AC and sweat just dripping off of me the entire way. I remember when I was young that we didn't need no AC. Of course we always went "catting" as the old folks would say, way after dark...lol. Just cruising back then. I know one thing, at 59 I am just getting too old to mess with this mustang that I have had for many years. Might be time to go by-by. :( The whole time I was working on it, I could see me having to ride the Kubota that distance to drag it home...of course I would have beaten the stang into a flattened tin can with the FEL first...lol...not really.

/ Might have used the Kubota...maybe! #2  
That would have been a long trip on on open station Kubota. Maybe swap the pony car off and get a nice cab tractor.. Less sweating!:laughing:

/ Might have used the Kubota...maybe! #3  
You're just a kid at 59. Wait til you hit 62. Have fun while you're still young! If I had a 66 Mustang, I'd sure be having some.:laughing:

/ Might have used the Kubota...maybe! #4  
Sorry to hear about the problems but glad you were able to get it fixed. Isn't it something about how much we rely on A/C now. I remember back in the 60's that me and my new wife used to go all over the desert around Tucson, AZ during the day in an old 57 Ford with no A/C when the radio was warning everyone not to walk outside much with the temps around 120. We never gave the heat much thought back then.

/ Might have used the Kubota...maybe! #5  
Sorry you hear about the break down and the repair in the CVS parking lot. However, remember the line out of Young Frankenstein: "It could be raining."

/ Might have used the Kubota...maybe! #6  
It seems as you get older it goes one way or the other-either the heat or cold takes you down. For me its the heat which is a good thing living in Wis. Fewer of them days. And you people down south would probably laugh at what we call hot!

I think if you sold your Mustang it wouldn't take long for you to be missing it. Just sayin---

/ Might have used the Kubota...maybe! #7  
Buy AAA plus to get your old heap towed home, OR a buy new Mustang. Just kidding, fuel injection rocks.

20150626_141923_zpsvfrhujiy.jpg

Fred

/ Might have used the Kubota...maybe! #8  
That's a pretty accessory that comes with the Mustang nowadays. Maybe I should get one........would MAKE MY DAY.:laughing:....in my dreams.:(

/ Might have used the Kubota...maybe! #9  
Isn't it something about how much we rely on A/C now. I remember back in the 60's that me and my new wife used to go all over the desert around Tucson, AZ during the day in an old 57 Ford with no A/C when the radio was warning everyone not to walk outside much with the temps around 120. We never gave the heat much thought back then.
Not quite so many stop lights back then and there was real vents that pulled in air from outside. I miss the old tilt in triangle glass and pop open leg vents we had in out old trucks.

/ Might have used the Kubota...maybe!
Not quite so many stop lights back then and there was real vents that pulled in air from outside. I miss the old tilt in triangle glass and pop open leg vents we had in out old trucks.
Mine still has the triangle vents and the pull vent on the drivers side. Nice when the weather is a little cooler. The AC takes up the other under dash vent. I'm a lot more gray headed than the last pic that was taken a bunch of years ago. Need to get the red head to take another, I reckon. BTW, she is what I call my "Rev Limiter". Once I hit about 6000 rpms burning rubber or about 100 mph on a long straight away, with no one around, she starts beating on my leg with her hand and squealing...lol. :confused2: