MIL is in her last hours

/ MIL is in her last hours #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
Wife got a call on Wednesday. Her mom's neighbor (in LV) said she had apparently collapsed and was there for days in the heat with no water. Emergency crews broke in and took her to the hospital. Wife flew out that night. In the process, doctors discovered she had a lesion that indicated a secondary cancer. Despite having worked in Healthcare (or maybe because of it) she shunned most medical care and had specifically told my wife that she didn't want to be kept alive. Doctors asked for permission to intubate and wife had to say no. Mom was mostly nonresponsive but verbalized a little. The last 24 hours or so she rounded the last corner toward the finish line. Wife is the only daughter of 2 surviving children.

Her husband left when wife was 2 and mom was pregnant with her 4th. She worked 3 or more jobs doing medical transcription and various side jobs. 10 years later, on Christmas, she was driving back from ex's place with kids when a train hit the car. Oldest and youngest boys were killed. MIL lost her left arm (she was left handed) and after a long recovery went back to typing for a living with 1 arm (and earning bonus pay for productivity). She became a 'crazy' cat lady (there were at least 7 in the house(trailer). I remember when we told her we were getting married she said to me "remember, no matter what happens she (my wife) is right and you are slime". Over the years she actually took my side a few times. The world will be less for her passing, but few will even know.

For those who pray, please pray for her and my wife. Wife is handling it all alone. I offered to join her, but she declined. Her brother is in Cali and did not come either. They had a chilly relationship for the last 30 years or so (MiL and BiL). Thanks, T.

/ MIL is in her last hours #3  
My wife lost her mother last year. It is a very hard time to endure.
Prayers sent.

/ MIL is in her last hours #5  
Your wife’s mother sounds like a very resilient woman living life on her own terms…

We too refused intubation knowing it would have been miserable for mom as well as a feeding tube…

All she wanted was to come home and so it was…

/ MIL is in her last hours #6  
Sounds like a great lady. God be with you all!

/ MIL is in her last hours #7  
She'll be in my prayers; she sounds like she's a strong woman, of a very specific and rare breed. I'm sorry your wife is losing her mother; I'm dreading that day. I can't even begin to imagine the pain she must be feeling.

/ MIL is in her last hours
She'll be in my prayers; she sounds like she's a strong woman, of a very specific and rare breed. I'm sorry your wife is losing her mother; I'm dreading that day. I can't even begin to imagine the pain she must be feeling.
I hate the helplessness. My job is to protect her and I can do nothing.

My MIL is definitely a rare breed. They were surprised she survived the accident in 1977. In the 30 years since we moved out of Vegas, she was in our house 1 or 2 times. Flew into Milw on a red eye and left the next day. Maybe 8 hours of being awake at the house. She never said I love you to her kids. She clearly loved them, just not something she would utter.

Apparently, we will have a service whenever it is convenient for most, could be months. Burying her ashes between her sons in Nebraska 10 miles from the nearest paved road.

Thanks, all.

/ MIL is in her last hours #10  
Sorry for the loss...special thoughts and prayers.