mile marker winch

/ mile marker winch #11  
I have a MM winch mounted on a 3pth frame works that I made that is rated 10,500lbs. I have it on a L3830. The L3830 also is rated 2500 psi with just a little less gpm flow. It has worked flawlessly for 3 years now. I just plug it into my rear remotes. I use it for skidding logs, its 2 speed and the whole set up was much cheaper than a skidding winch.

/ mile marker winch
Just talked to Winchesplus.com technical support. They said that to operate a hydraulic Mile marker winch safely in the 2500 psi system we need use a special spool valve that they sell for 120 dollars. This spool valve is to be mounted on the winch and operated at the winch. The front hydraulic outlets on my Kubota m7040 are operated from bottons on the FEL joystick so not sure how that can work in this case. Any ideas out there?

/ mile marker winch #13  
Did they say what their 'magic' spool does? If so,.. then just find something to replicate those effects.

Soundguy

/ mile marker winch #14  
m7040 said:
Just talked to Winchesplus.com technical support. They said that to operate a hydraulic Mile marker winch safely in the 2500 psi system we need use a special spool valve that they sell for 120 dollars. This spool valve is to be mounted on the winch and operated at the winch. The front hydraulic outlets on my Kubota m7040 are operated from bottons on the FEL joystick so not sure how that can work in this case. Any ideas out there?

That is exactly who I bought my winch from and they did not say anything to me about a special valve. At what RPM does the M7040 produce 2500 PSI? That is the question that no one has asked yet. My L3830 produces 2650 PSI at 14GPM and my winch works good. Yes I said 2650 PSI because I increased mine.
Plumb into the rear remote lines and use them.

/ mile marker winch
Good question on the pressure. Pressure is related to flow on the positive displacement pump system I would think at low RPM's flow is low and pressure as well. Seems that the MM winch should be safe as long as we only rev it up to where it functions effectively. I will try it without the spool valve

/ mile marker winch #16  
The pressure will be the same at all RPMs. Just the flow will change. A motor and a cylinder could use a different spool valve. A valve that is electric controled will not have any speed control. You can get a spool valve with a pressure relief valve built into it.

/ mile marker winch #17  
I'd just like to remark I have a 10,500 Milemarker installed on my truck, running off the power steering pump. It is built like a tank, and will work uncomplainingly all day. I have seen electric winches start to smoke under smaller loads.

The only disadvantage compared to an electric winch is that the engine has to be running to use it.

Make sure you know the techniques for using a winch, to get maximum performance, avoid damaging the cable, and avoid lots of hassles with loose turns on the spool. Whenever possible the drum should be at right angles to the work so the cable winds evenly.

Once installed, you will love it. Let us know.

C

/ mile marker winch #18  
In a recent phone conversation recently with Mile Marker he told me that if the fairlead was at least 10" away from the winch it would act almost like a level winder. In using mine for winching logs I have had to make a few redesign changes to it. One was the way that the cable is secured to the drum.

/ mile marker winch #19  
Deerlope, how DID you change the drum attachment. I ripped mine off once, and had great difficulty finding someone who could swage a new anchor to the cable. I still has to be careful not to run out those last few turns of cable.

C

/ mile marker winch #20  
Deerlope,

Do you have any pics of your MM winch set-up?

thanx