Milky Battery Acid Question

/ Milky Battery Acid Question #1  

Silvic

Gold Member
Tractor
I have a battery that has a good charge on it. Specific Gravity ranges from 1.275 to 1.285 which falls in the good range but the acid is milky in color.
Never seen battery acid that is milky in color before.

A search on line indicated that milky fluid can come from the use of limestone laced water instead of distilled. I have never added water (I only use distilled) and the battery came from the OEM equipment manufacturer in Kansas City. Now 20 months old. The battery came from a battery distributor (Standard Battery, formerly Fleenor Battery) in the same area but I have a hard time believing the battery distributor would have added contaminated water to a new battery.( but you never know)
Anyone else ever seen milky battery acid such as in the photo but still has good S.G.

IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

/ Milky Battery Acid Question #2  
Hi Silvic

No, never seen milky acid. I guess it has to be some contamination.
What to do?
Well either leave it as is or replace.
If replace get new acid and dilute to same SG as the milky stuff and replace. Might be worth a rinse out before replacing with distilled until clear. I would not shake it about though as can dislodge the active stuff on the plates.

/ Milky Battery Acid Question #3  
I know acid will turn milky if it gets oil in it. I have heard it don't take much to turn it milky. Ed

/ Milky Battery Acid Question #4  
Check it again in 24 hours after it has been sitting, and not on charge.

/ Milky Battery Acid Question #5  
The rad is leaking fluid in it.:eek::p