Milky fliud in water separator

/ Milky fliud in water separator #21  
Re: Milky fluid in water separator

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. The dealer claims it's "normal" for water separator to collect water, he says it's common for diesel to contain some water in it, and the water separator is doing its job. Told him it's just not right for the water separator to collect this much water only after running through 10 ga of fuel. He wants me to drain the water separator and see how fast it collects that white stuff again. I guess I'll have to convince him there's excess water in the system.

It is the function of the Water Seperator to trap any water and debris impurities in a gravity sump-trap. Some, like yours, also contain the filter element.

The purpose of the transparent bowl (glass or plastic) is so you can monitor your fuel and take appropriate action as necessary.

That (as shown) is not "Normal".

:wrench:

/ Milky fliud in water separator #22  
Spanner, are you familiar with the product "Fuel Doctors"? I don't believe that it is available in North America or, if it is, it's under a different brand name.

It breaks down contaminates (water, biologicals) and suspends it in the fuel... allowing it to pass through the filter and burning it up in the engine. It will also lubricate the fuel system.

It saved my 4105's system after a nasty water/biological infestation. I now use it in all of my fuels.

Fuel Doctors Australia

/ Milky fliud in water separator #23  
Hi Waggy,
No, I haven't come across them (But then I haven't needed to look either). I see they are distributing through SCA in Australia so I will check when next passing my local.

The Water>Bio-bug problem is big down here for sure. Maritime climate conditions perhaps?
Cheers,
:wrench:

/ Milky fliud in water separator #24  

Coyote machine has some good points and suggestions i think.

/ Milky fliud in water separator #25  

Coyote machine has some good points and suggestions i think.

Thanks. I feel for the OP. I'd hate to see his FIS, (Fuel Injection System) seriously damaged by inept response to this potentially serious amount of water being present in the fuel separator. And, just the thought of suggesting continuing to run the engine and see what happens regarding further water/contaminants getting caught, or worse yet past the separator, makes my blood boil. That is sheer stupidity to even suggest that course of action. :duh:

/ Milky fliud in water separator #26  
It is normal for Bio Diesel to have water in it. In Oregon we have mandatory 5% Bio Diesel content with many stations pushing the 20% so hard that they are forgiving the state road tax to sell it at a competitive price. The Fuel sender in my L3130 has been replaced once after it quit working and the fuel senders in the RTV and BX2230 are very rusty and all my fuel filter element end caps that are metal start to rust after time. Hence the reason on using the non metalic Kubota fuel filter housing as the bio fuel sucks moisture out of the air.

David

/ Milky fliud in water separator #27  
It is normal for Bio Diesel to have water in it. In Oregon we have mandatory 5% Bio Diesel content with many stations pushing the 20% so hard that they are forgiving the state road tax to sell it at a competitive price. The Fuel sender in my L3130 has been replaced once after it quit working and the fuel senders in the RTV and BX2230 are very rusty and all my fuel filter element end caps that are metal start to rust after time. Hence the reason on using the non metalic Kubota fuel filter housing as the bio fuel sucks moisture out of the air.

David

Can't argue with that; BUT like Ethanol gas the water ends up doing damage at some point. Chainsaws, weed eaters, lawnmowers, you name it, aren't meant to have water mixed in with the fuel as it is being burned, and the things that suffer is the carb needles, jets, seats, fuel injectors and fuel injection pumps, whether gasoline or diesel variety.
It would be one thing if the water could pass through without causing condensation and worse, rust on the way to being burned. As you said, fuel tank caps and anything exposed to teh moisture rusts and then the REAL problems begin.
Cars and trucks have closed loop fuel injection systems, and can therefore tolerate better some moisture. Tractors often sit for days, or weeks between use, and the moisture in the fuel, and sitting in the tank become problematic as Ethanol gas goes through phase separation and the water ends up at the bottom where the pickup tube is. Fuel water separators for diesels help stop a lot of the water that may be present in diesel fuel, and I can't imagine how 20% has gotten approval?!

For my boat engine, Yamaha, 4 stroke 225 fuel injected gas engine the warranty is VOID if 15% Ethanol fuel is used. If I'm not mistaken it is the same for my Toyota Forerunner; but I can't say for for sure without verifying.
Whether gas engine or diesel, water is a death-nell to both the engine and the owner's wallet.

/ Milky fliud in water separator #28  

Make sure your engine is rated for biodiesel. Many are not.

/ Milky fliud in water separator #30  

Most diesels are rated for B5 but at some stations in Oregon now B20 is the only choice of Diesel.

Davud

Glad I don't live there. I have a new 2017 tractor and it says only up to BioDiesel of 7%.