Millennial Job Interview

/ Millennial Job Interview
By chance, Arnold Kling has an interesting blog post this morning about digital skills (http://www.arnoldkling.com/blog/disaggregating-the-economy-levels-of-tech-skills/)

Screenshot 2017-11-27 at 6.34.03 AM.png

Screenshot 2017-11-27 at 6.36.51 AM.png

Steve

Last edited:
   / Millennial Job Interview #22  
Interesting post here.

I retired this year after 45 years in either manufacturing or mechanical design.

High school plus 2 years of community college.

When I entered the workforce, I already knew how to work with my hands and repair engines and perform auto repairs (thank you, Dad!). I fell into a great career in precision sheet metal in the Silicon valley just as the electronics boom got underway.

I could see right away the place to be was programming the turret presses which at the time was done with a Teletype and paper tape. This was the beginning of those "digital skills". After several years of staying on top of the latest programming software I was able to go in the back door into CAD design .

I ran into millinials in the last few years who were dedicated gearheads, good with working with their hands, and extremely sharp in their fields. I had dinner on a business trip in 2012 with an Israeli twenty something who designed and built his own dune buggy with a welded steel tube frame and a Subaru powertrain. That was impressive!

But they were in the minority.

What works against them are, in no particular order, are a lack of vocational programs, lack of parental training, fewer manufacturing jobs, or working in places that don't allow advancement, and a general lack of understanding about what it takes to design, fabricate and refine things, and the myth that everyone needs a college education to succeed.

It was my embracing of digital skills early on, a healthy dose of mechanical aptitude, employers who allowed room to innovate and expand your talent, that allowed me to have a lot of fun during my career.

/ Millennial Job Interview #23  
30 or 40 years ago most people knew how to work and had a reasonable sense of a work ethic; most.

Now the gap between the millenial hard workers with a brain and the completely lazy, only want to game and snapchat, is vast. I know some outstanding millenials and I know some I wouldn't have work for me if they paid me.

SC Basketball coach Frank Martin said that he doesn't blame the millenials, it is their parents. I agree with him. If you know a lazy millenial; look to the parents.

/ Millennial Job Interview #24  
I think there is problem that employers do not want to train anybody, this has undercut community college programs, as they have no apprentice students going thru. Companies simply refuse to train anybody, then complain about no suitable employees. Additionally, the pay still lags in manufacturing, a welder averages $19 per hour, manufacturing, about 21. I think those are probably skewed higher by union factories that pay quite a bit more. Non union companies around here are at least $5 per hour less, and usually nada for benefits. Manufacturing is one area of the economy that is exposed to foreign competition. Service jobs aren’t, so the pay for those jobs keeps getting better, especially medical.

/ Millennial Job Interview #25  
Small general contractor here. Years ago one of my favorite ways to check out a new workers skills to understand instructions was to hand them a gallon can of paint. Then tell them all their info is on the cans label. Then ask how many gallons to paint two coats of paint in what ever room we were standing in. Some could not read, many could not comprehend what they read. Then you had to do some basic measuring and math to figure it out. Most normally did very poor on the test. Things have not improved over the years. Plus there is now the problem of “go to www page this or that” for the info that used to be on the can. Still most cannot provide the answer even though they have no problem using their smartphone for entertainment.

Was also told long ago that anyone that could remember 3 simple things that they were told to do and get them done was possible a feature management person. Naturally I thought that was just silly. Now I know what they were talking about.

I am not trying to make this sound bad but I realize that perhaps the cream of the crop does not go looking for labor construction jobs. But its hard for me comprehend the lack of motivation or effort many have for a job. I here similar complaints from friends of mine who manage restaurants, convince stores, computer or phone repair, mechanics, or construction supply houses. Seems to cover so many different aspects of life and trades.

Being on time to work, staying till end of the 8 hour work day, showing back up on time from lunch, staying off the phone or text and working, etc. I could go on but its a interesting picture of the general work force.

/ Millennial Job Interview #26  
This thread reminds me of an article i was reading a while ago, about how each succeeding generation is lazy, stupid, etc. The article contained quotes from other sources thru the years. I got fooled a couple times as i thought a few of the quotes had been from recent years, only to find out was from 100 + years ago.

/ Millennial Job Interview #27  
I got chastised by my grade three (POS) teacher because I complained, how can you find a word in the dictionary, if you don't know how to spell it?

And the scary thing is nobody can give a good answer to that same question I have been asking since about that same time.

You look up the way you think it is spelled to see if you are right. If not, think of another way to spell it, then check that. Repeat as needed.

You use the dictionary to "check" your spelling, not find it.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Millennial Job Interview #28  
I am one of the oldest to be considered a millenial. I don't like being associated with them. I consider it to be a slur when used toward me. There are alot of them that are useless. Alot of them at my work are ridiculous.

/ Millennial Job Interview #29  

/ Millennial Job Interview #30  
Made me laugh... a lot of the private practice Doctor offices have interns or fresh grads in medical assisting... many, but not all, are just as shown.

The good thing is those that are not really shine... and have a job offer waiting.

Someone once told me half of holding a job is showing up on time... in other words being dependable!

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2 Yard plastic dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard plastic...
5 Small hole wheels (A34236)
5 Small hole...
2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...
Pettibone Cary-Lift 204-D Rough Terrain Forklift, (A33078)
Pettibone...
Ferguson harrow, 6 ft. (A34236)
Ferguson harrow, 6...
Echo ProPaddle (A33041)
Echo ProPaddle...