Miller Bobcat Vs Hobart Champion Elite

/ Miller Bobcat Vs Hobart Champion Elite #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
For a number of reasons, and requirements I think I've settled on a welder/generator rather than separate units.

The Bobcat with GFCI is $3,500 at Cyberweld, but there is a 10% discount if you add $150 worth of accessories. So, it would be $3,285 delivered (free shipping).

Miller Bobcat 225 Welder 907498001

The Hobart is $3,299 at the local TSC, but there's 6% sales tax, for a total of $3,496, but TSC just came out with a promotion for 0% until Jan 2015, which would be nice. I'm $40k into building my barn/shop, with another $10-15k left to go, so any chance to spread the cost over time is welcome, but not critical.

Hobart Welders - Products - Welder/Generator - Champion Elite

The two seem pretty similar in specs, so is their anything that would push you towards one or the other just based on specs/capability?

/ Miller Bobcat Vs Hobart Champion Elite #2  
For a number of reasons, and requirements I think I've settled on a welder/generator rather than separate units.

The Bobcat with GFCI is $3,500 at Cyberweld, but there is a 10% discount if you add $150 worth of accessories. So, it would be $3,285 delivered (free shipping).

Miller Bobcat 225 Welder 907498001

The Hobart is $3,299 at the local TSC, but there's 6% sales tax, for a total of $3,496, but TSC just came out with a promotion for 0% until Jan 2015, which would be nice. I'm $40k into building my barn/shop, with another $10-15k left to go, so any chance to spread the cost over time is welcome, but not critical.

Hobart Welders - Products - Welder/Generator - Champion Elite

The two seem pretty similar in specs, so is their anything that would push you towards one or the other just based on specs/capability?

Gonna have to see some pics of your shop when your done.

/ Miller Bobcat Vs Hobart Champion Elite
Gonna have to see some pics of your shop when your done.

I'm doing my best to take pics as it progresses so I can make a thread about it! Here's a pic after we poured the slab for the shop side (24x40). The LS is in front of the barn side (40x40).

/ Miller Bobcat Vs Hobart Champion Elite #4  
   / Miller Bobcat Vs Hobart Champion Elite #5  
I have to agree with Shield, if I was to buy another welder/generator combo it would be Lincoln. The Ranger 8 [G 8000] I have has been flawless except for 1 circuit board. That was 8 years ago. The machine is 20+ years old and runs like new. I have burned alot of 5/32 7018 with it along with a truckload of 6010. I have owned/ran a 225 and the Lincoln welds better. CJ

You realize that Hobart doesn't have CV? Plus it has 80 open circuit volts!

You're not interested in the Lincoln line up? Buddy of mine has the 305G. I just got him set up with a used LN-25 to run Mig. That 305G is one sweet welder!:thumbsup:

Lincoln Ranger 305G w EFI Welder Generator K3928 1 | eBay

Lincoln Electric K2857-1 Ranger 225 Engine Drive Welder

See, that's what I have you guys for!

I'm not planning on running a MIG, so I figured CV wasn't important, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

The Lincoln 305G looks great, but it would be around $5k after tax, and more than I'd like to spend.

The Ranger 225 is definitely on my radar....forgot to list it...but it seems that it also has 80 OCV like the Hobart. It does have CV, so it would be a plus if I change plans and want to run a MIG.

Aside from stick welding, I can see maybe running a plasma cutter with it, but I'm not sure if that yet. Every time I start comparing, I wind up looking just one step nicer, more expensive, etc!

I have to agree with Shield, if I was to buy another welder/generator combo it would be Lincoln. The Ranger 8 [G 8000] I have has been flawless except for 1 circuit board. That was 8 years ago. The machine is 20+ years old and runs like new. I have burned alot of 5/32 7018 with it along with a truckload of 6010. I have owned/ran a 225 and the Lincoln welds better. CJ

Thanks, that helps....I'm trying to avoid paralysis due to analysis!

/ Miller Bobcat Vs Hobart Champion Elite #8  
Thanks, that helps....I'm trying to avoid paralysis due to analysis!

I sold a SA200 to fund the G8000 and I had my doubts that the G8 would be capable of burning rod like the 200. I did not need the 200 anymore [job change] and needed back up power. To my surprise it did very well, not quite as smooth as the 200 but it was/is impressive to me and I have ran a few machines. I would not hesitate to weld pipe with it and have done so a few times with no issues. May I ask why you don't want seperate machines? CJ

/ Miller Bobcat Vs Hobart Champion Elite #9  
Don't cut yourself short. You never know, you might find a good deal on an LN-25 sometime, with a CV machine you'd be able to run Mig or dual shield.
It may not matter to you, and everybody has their opinion, so here's mine. I've run a couple Bobcats before, never was impressed with them, just another welder. If you can swing it money wise, the 305G will weld circles around a Bobcat. ;)

/ Miller Bobcat Vs Hobart Champion Elite #10  
You can run some suitcase MIG wire feeders on CC as well