Mini Bears

/ Mini Bears #1  

greasemonkeyok

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD cut
Got up the other night to investigate the ruckus in the attic and on the porch, and peered out the window onto the front porch. A large mini bear (aka raccoon) was peering into the bedroom window from the porch post to investigate what was creeping around inside the house. I'd have shot at him but I remembered the kangaroo scene from Crocodile Dundee.

I really don't want poison the little b#$!@&*%, but they seem to be highly motivated to destroy the roof, and climb ten feet straight up the post to get to their destination.

So, does anyone know of a non-lethal solution to mini bears?

/ Mini Bears #2  
Raccoons are nocturnal, they are active in the twilight and after dark. Raccoons can be quite noisy. They can also be fairly destructive, they can pull off siding and tear openings to get into your home. Raccoons are omnivores, they will eat whatever they can find, and they can find plenty in your trash cans.

Your community may have specific rules about what you can do in regard to ridding your home of wildlife. In my community, you may not trap, kill or relocate a raccoon and the local authorities will not assist in removal. That is why we came up with these methods.

Raccoons may live around humans, but they do not like humans. The sound of a human voice is known to drive away raccoons. Place a radio, set to a talk radio station, in the vicinity of their nest. It doesn't have to be loud, start with a low volume level. If it doesn't get results, try increasing the volume. Leave the radio on day and night.

Raccoons prefer dark places for their nests. If you can light up your attic or crawlspace, this will disturb the raccoons, possibly enough to make them move out.

Raccoons are clean animals, in fact they often wash their food before eating. Because of this habit of cleanliness, they do not foul their nests. Ammonia, a chemical found in urine, is an offensive odor for raccoons. Soak rags in ammonia and place them as near to their nest as safely possible. You may also want to place soaked rags near all possible entrances. If you have difficulty reaching the nest, you might be able to apply ammonia in the vicinity with a squirt bottle. Periodically retreat the area with ammonia.

Keeping the Raccoons Out After They Have Gone

Once the raccoons are out, you must seal their access to your home. If you aren't certain if they are out, seal all but one exit. Once you think they are out, seal the last exit. You don't want to trap them in your home, the will die of thirst, decay and emit a foul odor for days or even weeks. Furthermore, the mother may leave the nest, to return later, but the litter of baby raccoons remains behind. Sealing out the mother is both inhumane, and will result in a foul odor if the babies die in your home.

Adult raccoons can fit through and opening about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Inspect under your eaves, especially where valleys occur. Raccoons are strong and have dexterous fingers. They can tear off siding and screens. Repair holes and openings with heavy wire cloth, steel flashing or solid wood. Secure with several screws or nails to a solid substrate.

Finally, remove food from the environment. Raccoons are clever and agile, they can open trash cans and other containers. Use metal trash cans, always use the lid and weight the lid with something heavy, like a brick. When throwing away choice foods, like meat, double bag it, to reduce the scent that leaks from your trash. Add a splash of ammonia to your trash cans too. If you have fruit or berries growing in your yard, regularly clean up fallen fruit. It will hard to keep raccoons out of trees, but no sense in leaving a buffet for them on the ground.

Here's the link this came from, has additional tips!! (The ammonia trick does work, at least for us it did!:D)

How To Keep Raccoons Out of the Yard - DIY Pest Control - ACME HOW TO.com

/ Mini Bears #3  
The Germans call them "Wash Bears", which seems fairly dignified. In French, they're "washer-rats". Maybe if you insult them in French, they will go away.

/ Mini Bears #4  
Raccoons are clean animals, in fact they often wash their food before eating.
Well ..... kinda ..... and kinda not .....

Because of this habit of cleanliness, they do not foul their nests.
But they will defecate and foul various common or communal locations (known as latrines) around your home - including in/on attics, porches, roofs, walks, etc. ..... areas where yourself, you children, or your pets may frequent ....

Here's why I said kinda not above .... and why you really, really don't want them around:

Racoon Roundworm

Raccoon roundworm eggs are excreted in raccoon feces ... and can remain viable for years ...

In North America, raccoon infection rates are very high, being found in around 70% of adult raccoons and 90% of juvenile raccoons.

Although rare in humans, Raccoon Roundworm is potentially fatal or severely debilitating, and there is no effective treatment for the larval stage - which is the stage where they can travel to various organs - like your eyes or brain.

The only good raccoon in my book is a dead one ....

/ Mini Bears #6  
Yeah - and making the eggs non-viable is tough - boiling water will do it - but alot of chemical stuff that you would think would, won't .... they're bad, bad news ... :(

Personally, if I lived where you did, I'd be doing some ed-u-ma-cating of those folks who passed the laws/regs to protect the poor, cute mini-bears ..... ;)

/ Mini Bears #7  
In more sane parts of the world, a firearm is frequently involved in raccoon control.

This is the case in Oregon.

/ Mini Bears #8  
shoot em or leg trap...they git pissed in a live cage style trap...leg trap and them shoot em is best if ya cant catch em gittin in doin the damage