Mini Bears

/ Mini Bears #11  
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that raccoons are a rabies "reservoir."

"....the majority of rabies cases in the U.S. are in wildlife, with raccoon cases predominating. In the U.S., 90% of all rabies cases occur in wildlife. During 2000, raccoon rabies made up 41% of wildlife cases diagnosed with skunks, bats and foxes making up the balance."

Rabies in Raccoons

I had assistance from the USDA's APHIS in controlling beavers on my farm. The fellow from APHIS was also working on a project that involved aerial dropping of oral rabies vaccine packets. Raccoons were trapped and then tested to determine whether they had ingested the vaccine.

Steve

/ Mini Bears #12  
In HS I used to clean up dumpster areas and pools in a development that was primarily the habitat of SnowBirds from up Nawth. There were 19 pools and dumpster areas.

Not sure which was worse to clean up after, the humans throwing trash into the dumpsters or the raccoons pooping in the pools. :D

I like the term Mini Bears. :laughing:

We lived trapped Mini Bears. The guy I worked for would take the Mini Bears fora one way trip. I don't know if he would shoot them, drown them in the wildlife management areas or turn them loose is the WMAs. But they did not return.

Moving the animals may be illegal in your neck of the woods.

Later,
Dan

/ Mini Bears #13  
Around here they get live trapped then submerged in a water filled trash can.