Mini Excavator Freewheel ?

/ Mini Excavator Freewheel ? #1  

fortyseven2n

Bronze Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N , 1952 Ferguson TO-30 , 1953 John Deere 40 Standard, 2009 Kubota L3400 HST with Loader
Do the Chinese 2K lb mini excavators freewheel when going downhill?

It would be really handy to have one, but my land is pretty hilly, and I have read a few accounts saying they freewheel going down hills.

Any feedback would be appreciatted.

Fortyseven2n

/ Mini Excavator Freewheel ? #2  
If it did I'd not have one. good Luck.

/ Mini Excavator Freewheel ? #3  
Do the Chinese 2K lb mini excavators freewheel when going downhill?
Which one are you looking at?

All of the sub-2T minis seem to have direct-drive wheel motors. They do want to go too fast when traveling downhill. Not free-wheeling, just too fast. Discussed here on TBN. Let go the handles, instant stop.

Only one I have seen has dual RVs that act as hydraulic brakes. They work much better, and I did test one on my hilly property.

Somewhere in the 2-4T range, the Chinese minis use a more conventional planetary final drive, which does not have this problem.

I am nearing 6y with my 1-T on very steep hills. Up to 40%.

/ Mini Excavator Freewheel ?
I've been considering the average 2K lb machines such as AGT H12 and similar.

None of my hills are a problem with my pickup truck, mower or Kubota tractor but they would be hairy if I was freewheeling. Once I get to where I need to dig would not be a problem.

I can see so many uses for one of these machines. Not a whole lot more than a 3 point backhoe and a whole lot more convenient.

/ Mini Excavator Freewheel ? #5  
I've been considering the average 2K lb machines such as AGT H12 and similar.
That is only a 1-ton machine. I also have a subframe-mounted backhoe on my tractor. Both are useful.

/ Mini Excavator Freewheel ? #6  
My L-12 dont freewheel OR speed up going down hill, (wish it did!) Anyway none I looked at will freewheel, IF they do/did, you got a major problem.!