Mini Excavator Sizing?

/ Mini Excavator Sizing? #21  
I will say the 26g is a very capable machine and has so far exceeded my expectations, I'm comparing it to smaller machines I have rented over the years, I got the factory thumb for it also at time of purchase and quick connects for aux hydros with eventual plans of getting a small flail for it.

/ Mini Excavator Sizing? #22  
I have a 7000lb [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] KX91 and have built a few walls with some rocks over 1500, around 4' -5' high. My machine is not a zero-tail machine so I do have to watch the hangover but it was able to build the walls without any drama. You learn to work with the machine limits - get closer, use your blade to lift the front of the machine to get a bit higher when needed, and things like that.

the attached photo shows one rock I dug out and then moved across the property to be used in a wall. To carry it I set the edge on the blade to take some weight off the boom and tram it around a bit easier. I don't know the weight but it was HEAVY.

Also, are you towing it all the time or just to get it home? If not, have it delivered from the dealer when you buy it, and you avoid all the trailer issues perhaps.

Attachments

• rock - 1.jpeg
    rock - 1.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 128
   / Mini Excavator Sizing?
very helpful, I just talked to a friend who owns an 8k new holland and I’m leaning towards bigger now. The big thing he pushed on was stability. The towing will be occasional between two properties 2 hours away, but if it’s once a year I wouldn’t constrain myself by that, likely can borrow a truck.

/ Mini Excavator Sizing? #24  
My neighbor next door has a CAT 303.5 - 8K machine, a RAM 1500 truck with a 12K trailer. He moves the machine on occasion (2-3 times a year) with no issue towing or stopping etc. Is it outside his total GVW, yes but for short moves no issue.

Sum and substance, get enough machine first, and while you can get by with a 2.5 ton (6000 lb) machine, a 3.5 ton (8000 lb) would be more desirable and in 10 years more valuable if resale is a consideration.

/ Mini Excavator Sizing? #25  
I know I could rent but I rarely have a full weekend to work so the ability to do an hour or two here and there makes ownership worth it.

There's a new angle!

I'm going to tell my wife I don't have enough work to rent a $$$$$ machine so it makes more sense to buy it....sounds to me like the perfect definition of rental.

Since money is no object you need to buy a bigger truck so you can haul a bigger mini-x

/ Mini Excavator Sizing? #26  
Code54 - what's the purpose or use of the buck in the background with the brake rotor feet and shelter?

/ Mini Excavator Sizing? #27  
Multiple points that were important or I've learned when Ive purchased several pieces of equipment over the years vs renting.
#1 cash or finance, if your paying cash for a 35k+ piece of equipment your already ahead cause the initial interest payments if financed would be what you'd be paying for a rental. Plus I was able to use it on my time when I had time, My insurance for me anyway is minimal
#2 size I'm in a small minority that thinks smaller is better for most things, I've been able to do almost as much with smaller pieces of equipment safely with more experience as a few would require larger more expensive equipment. I always like to learn new things and new ways to do things with what I have. Granted it takes longer but I'm able to utilize it for many other small projects larger equipment just can't do. Lol I remember when I bought my 326 not being a earth moving contractor I roughly estimated it would take me 500 hrs to clear several acres of overgrown trees and level several acres of rutted fields I did it in 200hrs and had a 75hp skid steer that mostly sat in the barn as it was to much for my future projects.
#3 transport when I bought my 326 ss I purchased steel tracks for it + it needed wheel spacers not only did it add over 1k lbs weight but it made it so wide I needed to purchase a 17k# gvwr deckover in order to transport with my current 3/4 ton. I've taken it to my cabin 500 miles away to finish clearing, landscaping, several times and pushed in a couple camp roads for friends, that would probably have required a medium sized dozer lol. With my newer 26G I can tow it with a 1/2 ton and much smaller trailer if and when I decide to purchase a new truck.
Anyways my logical meme, to me anyway is over, good luck on your purchase and projects.

/ Mini Excavator Sizing?
Cash purchase for sure, especially with interest rates these days. I am reluctant to add another vehicle, the reality is i would rarely if ever drive it so seems like a headache just to tow once a year.
I did have a bit of a second thought last night. Am I optimizing for the wrong thing. A 26g or even 17g would do all of the grading, trenching, landscaping and brush clearing I have on a regular basis. Since I’d be getting the rocks delivered for the landscape walls versus digging up I could easily rent a bigger 10k unit for a weekend to knock out the wall once fully prepped and dug out. For moving downed trees, etc I can just buck them up smaller…

Am I thinking about this option wrong?

/ Mini Excavator Sizing? #29  
No imo, the prices of 8k and larger machines vs a 6k is pretty substantial. In my case if I didn't want the higher flow auxiliary and a machine capable of handling a small flail or chopper attachment I could have saved substantially more. Which I translate into savings to possibly renting something if the need arises. Another thing I considered was on my 26G is the relative simplicity of the mechanicals especially with it not having to regen or having a DPF etc. Every time my 326 would Regen I swear I could see the fuel gauge drop lol.

Last edited:
   / Mini Excavator Sizing? #30  
Code54 - what's the purpose or use of the buck in the background with the brake rotor feet and shelter?
That is a foam archery target. The foam deer legs have a hole running up them so I welded a smaller piece of rebar to the brake rotors so I can use them as a stand for the deer. If I am not using it for a while I can just lift it up and stick the target in the building out of the weather. The rotors make a nice sturdy base.