Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #1  

DaveinValdez

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Anyone mixing used oil in with their diesel to cut the cost? I have old hydraulic and motor oil that I can filter and maybe mix in a quart per five gallons of diesel. We went to $6.40 a gallon today and if I project out the increases to winter plowing season, it looks like I might be shoveling this year.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #3  
Anyone mixing used oil in with their diesel to cut the cost? I have old hydraulic and motor oil that I can filter and maybe mix in a quart per five gallons of diesel. We went to $6.40 a gallon today and if I project out the increases to winter plowing season, it looks like I might be shoveling this year.
Interesting question, how well can you filter it? pumps and injectors are expensive. by my math you would be saving about 35 bucks on every 100 gal you burned or about 5%. Is your stuff tier 4?

Best,

ed

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #4  
I’m scared to try it. And I wouldn’t waste my time to cut it at that ratio. If it wouldn’t burn at least 20 percent it wouldn’t be worth it.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor.
That's what I thought. I've heard of it. Just trying to brainstorm ideas to cut costs. Our heating oil has tripled just by itself. In the winter the community's electricity is powered by diesel, so the electric bills are going to be tripled too this winter if not 4X's.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #6  
I bought a L2501 in April, 2022. The service tech that delivered it said diesel fuel systems today have to have clean fuel and aren't like the older diesel systems that were more forgiving.

I wouldn't put dirty anything in a diesel engine, especially if it was the source of electric power that people are depending on.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #7  
Personally wouldn’t do it, especially not with the used engin oil, it’s been depleted and it is full of metal molecule. Just did a quick search and learned that some people do mix used hydraulic oil in their diesel didn’t know such thing was possible not so the worse thing i have heard in a wile i guess … but at cold temperature it can cause problem like clogging fuel filters and fuel lines / injectors probably causing some settlement at the bottom of the tank too … not worth it in my opinion

Last edited:
   / Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #9  
That's what I thought. I've heard of it. Just trying to brainstorm ideas to cut costs. Our heating oil has tripled just by itself. In the winter the community's electricity is powered by diesel, so the electric bills are going to be tripled too this winter if not 4X's.
If you really have a lot of used motor and hydraulic oils it may be worth your while to buy or build a waste oil heater for your house. There are tons of plans floating around on the internet and on YouTube. Some folks are converting wood stoves to waste oil heaters. I don't know if your oil burning furnace will be able to use a mixture of motor oil and fuel oil but it might tolerate the mix better than your tractor engine. I have worked on old oil furnaces to repair them and they seem pretty simple, especially compared to engines with injectors.
Good Luck,
Eric