MM BF restoration-more progress

/ MM BF restoration-more progress #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
This continues a couple of previous threads.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...nneapolis-moline-bf-restoration-progress.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...eapolis-moline-bf-restoration-continuing.html

I spent most Oct-Nov09 cleaning and spray painting parts. Then the weather turned damp and cold so I put the spray gun away and started working on the hydraulics and the electrical system.

This MM BF has the HJK hydraulic lift system consisting of an Eaton hydraulic pump that runs off the timing gear on the front of the engine,

DSCF0147 (Small).JPG

and a hydraulic reservoir that contains the control valves that operating the hydraulic cylinder that moves the 3pt hitch up and down. As near as I can tell from the MM manuals, this system is pieced together from parts of the MM Uni-matic hydraulic system that MM developed in the 1950s.

I disassembled these components, thoroughly cleaned out the gunk and reassembled with new seals where needed.

DSCF0146 (Small).JPG

DSCF0191 (Small).JPG

Here are some shots of the hydraulic reservoir and the control valve that fits inside

DSCF0003 (Small).JPG

DSCF0004 (Small).JPG

As usual when restoring these old tractors, you get slowed by dumb things. In this case it was stuck hydraulic fittings that attach the hydraulic hoses to the reservoir. I finally had to cut the hoses (they were trash anyway) and weld a piece of 1/2"x1" bar stock on the stub so I could get leverage to unscrew these babies.

DSCF0071 (Small).JPG

DSCF0073 (Small).JPG

You need to be real careful when applying the muscle to metal castings like this so you don't crack the casting or booger up the threads in the casting. Then you really have a problem since replacements for parts like these are very difficult (sometimes impossible) to find.

More later.

/ MM BF restoration-more progress #2  
Thanks for the photos of the hydraulic reservoir and control valve. My BF is leaking around where the control lever goes into the reservoir and I need to dissasseble it and replace the O-ring/seal. Now that I've seen your photos, I have the confidence to tackle the project.

Bill

/ MM BF restoration-more progress
Thanks for the photos of the hydraulic reservoir and control valve. My BF is leaking around where the control lever goes into the reservoir and I need to dissasseble it and replace the O-ring/seal. Now that I've seen your photos, I have the confidence to tackle the project.

Bill

Glad they were of help to you.
My BF restoration work has been on the back burner for nearly a month. I'm installing a new metal carport and the hay baler needs servicing. Hope to move ahead on the BF in March.

Glad they were of help to you.
My BF restoration work has been on the back burner for nearly a month. I'm installing a new metal carport and the hay baler needs servicing. Hope to move ahead on the BF in March.

Got back to the MM/BF last week. Took a look at the water pump. It needs a rebuild or replacement--shaft is barely turning. Haven't located a replacement pump yet, only located a rebuild kit from Hercano. Problem is that the pump shaft and bearing are stuck in the cast iron housing. So far no luck in getting the darn thing apart. Tried to press the shaft/bearing out of the housing with my 12-ton shop press. Hard to support the housing securely while pressing. Don't want to crack that housing.

DSCF0015 (Small).JPG DSCF0215 (Small).JPG

DSCF0218 (Small).JPG DSCF0239 (Small).JPG

/ MM BF restoration-more progress #5  
I would submerge the waterpump in a bucket of ATF/Acetone mix (50/50) for a week and then try to press it out. Next step would use some heat.

I would submerge the waterpump in a bucket of ATF/Acetone mix (50/50) for a week and then try to press it out. Next step would use some heat.

I've used ATF/acetone before with mixed results. But it's a good suggestion.
I've ordered some Kroil penetrant. Never used that stuff before--maybe it'll work.

Well, I've been able to make some progress on this project since my last post in thie thread. Been working on the rear axles and brakes.

DSCF0045 (Small).JPG

DSCF0066 (Small).JPG

DSCF0082 (Small).JPG

DSCF0083 (Small).JPG

So I ordered brake lining friction material from McMaster Carr, removed the old linings, grit blasted and solvent cleaned the shoes and bonded new linings on with JB Weld.

DSCF0229 (Small).JPG

DSCF0230 (Small).JPG

DSCF0231 (Small).JPG

DSCF0232 (Small).JPG

I'll be busy the next few weeks mowing and baling hay. Hope to get back to this project in early June when I'll finish spraying primer and start spraying the Prairie Gold final coats.

/ MM BF restoration-more progress #8  
Have you made any more progress on restoring your MM/BF? Just curious since I have been following your progress. Enjoy looking at the photos too.

Bill

Have you made any more progress on restoring your MM/BF? Just curious since I have been following your progress. Enjoy looking at the photos too.

Bill

Thanks for your interest.
I'm busy with another project now so the BF is on hold.
I need to finish priming all the parts (about 2 days work) and then spray two coats of Prairie Gold (the red parts were painted last year).
I'll get back to the BF in Sep and put on a big push to get that project finished.

Only snag is the water pump--haven't been able to locate a replacement. Looks like I'll have to get the old one rebuilt. The bearing is stuck in the housing right now. I'll see if the guy at the engine rebuild shop can figure out how to press it out without destroying the cast iron housing.

/ MM BF restoration-more progress #10  
That hydraulic pump looks similar to mine on my Cockshutt 40. That makes me understand it more and feel I may be able to rebuild it myself.
Great pics !
rriley