MMM Storage Wheels

/ MMM Storage Wheels #1  

Tom_H

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
A few weeks ago I saw a photo attached to a post which showed a "Bota MMM standing on its side with 2 sets of 4 tiny casters ganged together like the rear wheels of a commercial aircraft. Each set was mounted to a brass post and placed where the shaft for each rear wheel normally goes on the MMM. The MMM could obviously be rolled to a storage position and location which takes up much less space. I asked my dealer's parts dept. about this. He said they must be aftermarket. I cannot now find the post. Does anyone know in which thread this post is located, where these wheels are available, and how much they cost?

Also, a year or two ago, there was a long thread about freely pivoting casters which could be put on the MMM prior to dropping and disconnecting, so that it could roll in any direction while disattached. If I remember correctly, the discussion was about how to build your own. Does anyone know whether such wheels now exist for retail purchase? If so, where and how much?

/ MMM Storage Wheels #3  
Here is a picture of what you are looking for...

Attachments

• 591183-MowerDeckStorage.jpg
    591183-MowerDeckStorage.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 424
   / MMM Storage Wheels
Thanks guys, I just ordered the storage wheels. Do you have any info. on freely pivoting casters which allow the MMM to roll in any direction while disattached?

/ MMM Storage Wheels #5  
The MMM will fall over if the castors swivel at all because of the high center of gravity and narrow wheel base.

I made my own set up like the photo using a couple short pieces of axel and some 7/8 rod and some cheap wheels. When I do it again I'll use the axel and, basically, a 7/8 OD pipe or a bushing or something.

I am also working on the design of a proper dolly that stores upright, but allow you to move the MMM flat for installation.

/ MMM Storage Wheels
I would use the swivel wheels only when disattaching for a brief period, not when I want to store upright. Since I already have to pull the pins and rotate the shaft each time I attach or disattach, I figure I might as well slip in something that swivels so it's easier to roll the MMM around under the tractor. Since I do it on very smooth concrete it isn't too bad, but it takes a little time. I leave the tractor in neutral and have to push it backwards and forward several times while pushing the MMM sideways a little at a time. I also have to make the MMM wheels slide a little so the tractor and MMM are no longer quite perpendicular. This leaves black streaks on the concrete. I don't like doing this to the wheel or concrete. Swivel casters would make it possible to push the MMM in any direction within the plane of the floor and it would just be faster and easier to move the thing around.

When I sharpen the blades on the MMM, I need to get it aloft. I have an electric hoist suspended from my garage trusses (weight distributed along several trusses by suspending from long steel pipe). I use this to lift quite a few things including the MMM for blade removal. I would probably use it for those times when I want to put the storage wheels on and leave the MMM off for awhile.

/ MMM Storage Wheels
Larry at moweraxle is now exploring the possibility of building such a swivel caster for MMMs.

/ MMM Storage Wheels #8  
I've got a set of the moweraxles and they work out pretty good for me. The mower takes up much less space and can easily be moved around. Also makes the changing of the blades or fall/winter cleanup of the deck very easy. I use the FEL to lift it for changing out the wheels and it only takes a few minutes.

Volfandt

Attachments

• 592818-BX23 tool box 012.jpg
    592818-BX23 tool box 012.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 229
   / MMM Storage Wheels #9  
Vol,

The next thing you need from Larry is his grease fittings on the deck wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wow is that deck clean. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ MMM Storage Wheels #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Vol,

Wow is that deck clean. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif )</font>

No..... it is either new or has been totally reconditioned.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif