Mobile Home Setup Cost

/ Mobile Home Setup Cost #1  

justinramani

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Hi Everyone,

A few days ago I purchased a surplus FEMA manufactured home from the government. Its about 25 miles south of me at a storage facility. I dont have much experience with manufactured homes. I got a few quotes for transport and setup and wanted to get yalls opinion in if the prices seem fair. Its a 14 x 64 single wide. All wheels, axles and tongue are present and in good condition. Trailer is ready to be hooked up.

Cost to transport 25 miles, level, block and underpin: $1,800
Rough Estimate for Electric Service connection: $1000 - $1500
Skirting: $1,000

Thoughts?

/ Mobile Home Setup Cost #2  
I have no real experience to offer you, but I would question the $1000 for skirting. Not sure what they were planning to use, but you want something to be sure critters stay out from underneath. I would consider putting hardware cloth a few inches into the ground and running it all the way to contact the home - all the way around. And then cover over that with something a bit more pleasing to the eye. I would have to think this is less than $1000.

Not sure what temp's get down to where you're located and if pipes freezing are a concern or not. If so, I would tackle that (insulating the skirt?) while you are getting it setup.

If you got that route, be sure to leave yourself a way or two past the hardware cloth for under home maintenance.

/ Mobile Home Setup Cost
Thats a good idea to keep out the critters.

/ Mobile Home Setup Cost #4  
Hi Everyone,

A few days ago I purchased a surplus FEMA manufactured home from the government. Its about 25 miles south of me at a storage facility. I dont have much experience with manufactured homes. I got a few quotes for transport and setup and wanted to get yalls opinion in if the prices seem fair. Its a 14 x 64 single wide. All wheels, axles and tongue are present and in good condition. Trailer is ready to be hooked up.

Cost to transport 25 miles, level, block and underpin: $1,800
Rough Estimate for Electric Service connection: $1000 - $1500
Skirting: $1,000

Thoughts?

I couldn’t pay that fast enough! Under 5k to move it, set it up, provide electrical and skirt it- sounds like a good deal to me. What do you or they have to do to prep the site? What about water, sewer and gas?

/ Mobile Home Setup Cost #5  
Who is providing the block? Are they pouring any type of footings or is the block going straight on the ground? I would be curious exactly how they are skirting it and with what materials. Make sure they elevate it enough so you have decent access to underneath..

/ Mobile Home Setup Cost #6  
I don't understand charges for underpinning and skirting. Where I'm from underpinning is synonymous with skirting. So, ask about the charges for underpinning and skirting and why there are two separate charges and what the charges are specifically for. Typically FEMA housing does not have storage tanks for gray water and black water. In other words FEMA trailers are not "travel trailers" and are not intended for "road trips". Just make sure you understand what you are buying.

/ Mobile Home Setup Cost #7  
I would frame around the perimeter and put pole barn steel in instead of plastic. Steel probably cost $300 plus a hundred for wood framing and rebar stakes to stick it to the ground. Labor involved $1000 would be fair for that system. At least I did that and it worked great.

I am sure tie downs or hurricane straps need to be attached to anchors.

You need water and electric put in probably before skirting is finished off plus don't forget heat tape for water.

I cut 2x2 chunks of treated 3/4" plywood for under the block stacks which seem to work pretty good. I would try to get the thing about 2.5-3 foot off the ground so you could crawl around under there.

All in all $5k would not be to far out of line but maybe you could check with other movers for prices.

I would at least have them haul it in, block and level it and tie it down for you. Maybe the other stuff you could handle, if you are handy.

/ Mobile Home Setup Cost #8  
justinramani:
Justin the prices you gave seem about right ask me how i know i own the same type building it cost me 3500.00 to move 4 miles 500.00 for skirting extra.
PS if you are using block for the foundation make sure to use at least 10 mil plastic on the ground the movers should be able to get it :thumbsup:

/ Mobile Home Setup Cost
I couldn’t pay that fast enough! Under 5k to move it, set it up, provide electrical and skirt it- sounds like a good deal to me. What do you or they have to do to prep the site? What about water, sewer and gas?

The ground is pretty flat, so i'm thinking it shouldn't be too bad. We will need to lay down some vapor barrier. We dont have have gas out here, but I will have to have a water tap and septic installed. Water taps are around 2k and septic is around 4k.

/ Mobile Home Setup Cost
Who is providing the block? Are they pouring any type of footings or is the block going straight on the ground? I would be curious exactly how they are skirting it and with what materials. Make sure they elevate it enough so you have decent access to underneath..

Thats a good question - I need to clarify with the installer with regards to who is providing the blocks. I believe that they are going to place the blocks directly on the ground.