Modern appliances, grumble, grumble,

/ Modern appliances, grumble, grumble, #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
We remodeled the kitchen 3 years ago and this evening an alarm went off on the 3 year old stove. The oven was overheating. Nothing on those electronic controls did anything. Shut off the circuit breaker and after 10 or 15 minutes with lots of very hot air coming out of the open door. I remembered I had one of those infra red thermometers that you point at a heat source and read the temp. 520 degrees after sitting awhile with the door open!

Last stove went 18 years with the only fault being the oven heating element dying. No fancy electronic controls and an easy homeowner repair.

About 6 or 7 years ago we bought a new refrigerator; the previous one was 25 years old, needed it's second repair and the "experts" (Consumer Reports among others) said a new one would save so much energy it would pay for itself in a few years. It died in about 5 years--bad compressor. Sales folks at several dealers said that in order to meet new energy standards manufacturers made the compressors smaller, but that made them run more. Maybe that's just a story they all repeated, but that's what they said. Also said not to expect more than about 8 years out of a new one. Gee, that's really saving the environment when you have to trash a machine after 8 years.

We still have a washer we bought in '78, a dryer we bought in about '88, and a dishwasher we bought in '92, all mechanical controls. I hope they chug along a long time--the parts guy said some parts for the dishwasher are no longer available (we thought it had broken, but it was our diagnosis that was the problem).

/ Modern appliances, grumble, grumble, #2  
I just installed a new oven today after my 30 year old rusted out. My wife and I are reading the manual now and in about an hour I think we will be able to figure out how to turn it on.

Well, that's not as bad as my new TV. It took me about 3 hours to figure out all the controls on it.

/ Modern appliances, grumble, grumble, #3  
In regards to most products manufactured today, the newer products don't last as long as the products made in the past. We currently live in what some theorists call a "Throw Away Society".

/ Modern appliances, grumble, grumble, #4  
I redid my folks kitchen back in 1977 and all the appliances have been trouble free... oven, cooktop, micro, range hood, Dishwasher (All GE) and the Amana Refrigerator and Insinkerator Disposer...

She still has her Kenmore Dryer from 1968 and Washer from 1975 in Avocado Green.

Neighbors have been through many appliances in over the same time...

One bought a nearly $2000 pair washer and dryer about 5 years ago and had to replace them because the service calls were costing a fortune...

Keep it simple is my motto...

The ironic thing is many bought into the energy savings sales pitch and have regretted it because of reliability issues...

Still remember a co-worker was showing off her new LG appliances and I made a comment on how much better they sell since the changed the name from Goldstar... she was stunned...

The only good thing I can say about modern applicances is they are much easier on the back when moving them...

/ Modern appliances, grumble, grumble, #5  
Yup the new equipment sure does seem to suck. I had to replace the computer board in my oven (didn't even know it had one ) $600.00. but a new oven was $1900 so i had to do it.

My GE Monogram refrigerator ice maker quite dispensing ice cubes... the dealer told me i had to replace the ENTIRE door unit at a cost of nearly $1,200. I went online and found a blog about how to fix it and i got the circuit board on Ebay for $29.00 . it fixed it right up. (those **** service men really try to ream me on that one. he actually called me back and asked me if i wanted to go ahead with the repair. I told him i fixed it with a $29.00 part and he promptly hung up)

the plus side is... at night i can walk around my entire house courtesy of all the LED lighting and clocks. Its like daylight in the house....

ya, this sure saves electricity.

/ Modern appliances, grumble, grumble, #6  
Even in the last few years the quality of the products has changed.

Back in 2004 we bought a Zanussi/Electrolux Washer with 1600RPM Spin and "XC" (Extra Capacity) which could hold 6KG of clothes. It was very expensive, as it was fully loaded (pardon the pun), but at the time we could afford it, and boy, it was the best washer I've ever used!

Here is a link to what it looked like - http://is00.thegumtree.com/image/big/97145112.jpg

The plastics were very thick, the knobs and buttons were well inserted and didn't fall out or rattle, and in the 7 years it was used daily (sold it in February this year due to moving to a house with a washer already fitted - I'll get to that in a minute) there wasn't a single problem.

Heck, the belt didn't need changed once!

Well, we sold it for a very low amount of money just before moving house, and there isn't a day I don't regret letting it go.

The new washer in this house is a 2011 BEKO WM5100W with only 1000RPM spin, and it can only hold 3KG of clothes.

Here is a link to what it looks like - http://img.comet.co.uk/images/prod300/472670.jpg

This washer was (and still is) one of the cheapest you can buy.

Jeez, where do I start with the flaws ?

1) It has no variable spin
2) The cycle selection knob is loose
3) The drum has excessive play in it (suspected bearing wear despite not overloading)
4) It almost jumps through the rafters on spin (even though it only gets to 1000RPM)

BEKO, or Zanussi/Electrolux... Hmm... I believe the phrase is "it's a no brainer".

And don't get me started on our fridge.

It gets more ice in it than our freezer! :eek:

/ Modern appliances, grumble, grumble, #7  
I just installed a new oven today after my 30 year old rusted out. My wife and I are reading the manual now and in about an hour I think we will be able to figure out how to turn it on.

Well, that's not as bad as my new TV. It took me about 3 hours to figure out all the controls on it.

Now watch your TV remote turn the oven on when you aint look'n!

/ Modern appliances, grumble, grumble, #8  

You figured out the controls in 3 hours, heck you must be an electronic engineer!

/ Modern appliances, grumble, grumble, #9  
I hate TV remote controls with symbols instead of words!

What would be wrong with:

ON
OFF
CHANNEL -
CHANNEL +
VOLUME -
VOLUME +
SETTINGS
ENTER
EXIT
UP
DOWN
LEFT
RIGHT

TV remotes used to have words next to the buttons, but now everything is printed on the rubber buttons in tiny symbols that are hard enough to see anyway, let alone when they fade after only a year of using it!

We bought our second hand 42" Hitachi Plasma TV for £100 ($200) a few months ago and I've only just got used to the buttons, seeing as the symbols are all faded away and I have to remember which one does what out of the 50+ buttons.

My 10 year old 28" Toshiba CRT TV in my bedroom however has a remote with WORDS that I can understand :)

/ Modern appliances, grumble, grumble, #10  
I bought a new plasma last year and so far I can turn it on with the remote, once I actually got the DVD player right. My wife gets the remote in this house when the S hits the fan, she's the only one that wont "kill" it.:D