More English confusion

/ More English confusion #41  
I think that "outside meat" is what we call burnt ends hereabouts.

Speaking of bisquits; I'm reminded of a comedy skit by Brett Butler. Seems she was a stand up routine somewhere in the South, and was making fun of her "redneck" husband and putting down rednecks. She said some guy stood up in the audience, and shouted "If someone had taught you to make biscuits, you wouldn't be standin' up there saying that s***!"
To me "burnt ends" are the thin edges on "the flat" of a beef brisket (smaller thinner muscle)...
In most BBQ joints in the deep south "outside meat" is just that...outside meat that gets trimmed away before pulling etc...sometimes left on for chopped pork...it often has what we call "cracklins"...that are pieces of meat that get mostly dehydrated sometimes slightly charred...

...In the fall when we BBQ fresh hams and butts a lot of the outside meat gets picked off as soon as it gets to a desirable texture and moisture content...always have dipping sauce handy...

/ More English confusion
Don't forget Pop vs. Soda!
Yes, we call it soft drink, in Western Australia they call it cool drink, if you ask for soft drink you get cordial that has to be diluted, but, WA is just different, also known as Wait Awhile as they are about 30 years behind the rest of the world.

/ More English confusion #44  
around here a coke or something is called a Drink.

if you go to a convenience store it's the Drink Store

then, if it's before 7am, you get a Mt Dew and little can of Vienna sausage, breakfast of champions.

if it's after 7am you get a Drink and a bag of salted peanuts, 2 for a dollar.

dump the peanuts into your Drink

/ More English confusion #45  
Real men have sausage and egg wrapped in a tortilla for breakfast. :giggle: I remember when the best Tex-Mex food was served in the little mom and pop restaurants. You have to leave the big city to find it now that the cry-baby metros have ruined it with their fruity addons.

/ More English confusion #46  
Real men have sausage and egg wrapped in a tortilla for breakfast. :giggle: I remember when the best Tex-Mex food was served in the little mom and pop restaurants. You have to leave the big city to find it now that the cry-baby metros have ruined it with their fruity addons.
Does a breakfast burrito with a smidgen of Hatch pepper count?

/ More English confusion #47  
When I was in California some decades ago I went into a "takeaway" place to get some food. "Takeaway" is another English word that seems to have failed to thrive in the US.
Shop assistant: To go?
Me: sorry?
Shop assistant: To go?
Me: where?
Shop assistant: To Go?
Me: sorry? to go where?
Shop assistant: To Go?

This went on whilst the shop assistant didn't ask me a complete English sentence. I eventually guessed what she was wanting to know.

At least it was not a major problem unlike my colleague. When asked at the border control point at the airport what his occupation was he replied "Solicitor" :) This caused major problems and he was nearly sent packing home to Australia. The appropriate word to use in the US is "Attorney".

Mike

“Lawyer”

/ More English confusion
Convenience store= milk bar or deli which is not a true delicatessen, they are around but the supermarkets are driving them out.
Service station is a 'servo' chemist can be a pharmacy but hanen't seen apothecary for a long time now, when we first came to Australia doctors had a red light at the front, that was a source of amusement for a long ti me, some still do it.

/ More English confusion #50  
Jethro took granny to a drug store in Beverly Hills.

Boy was she pissed!

They didnt sell any of the ingredients she was looking for.

From that point on, granny made everyone call-it a What Not store and she smacked you if you called it a drug store.