More than one generator.

/ More than one generator. #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
Does anyone have more than one generator? Why more than one? I have three and will discuss my reasons later.

/ More than one generator. #2  
Funny you should ask. I have two and I am going tomorrow to pickup my third. The two larger ones are for each of my service trucks. The third is a 2000 w suitcase model for around the house. A friend got me to thinking about dragging the large one around the land doing small jobs. It was a pain. I am hoping this small one is the answer to me doing small jobs around here without having to get help to unload the biggger ones. I still will have them for larger jobs and for the whole house in a power outage.

/ More than one generator. #3  
I have one older Lincoln Welder/gen and one regular generator......

used the welder for years till the starter motor failed during a power outage....:mad:.....hence the need for another more reliable unit as a back-up plan (one that was manual start and better fuel economy)

/ More than one generator. #4  
Sure,good to have backup !:thumbsup:
1k 2 stroke + 12volt booster
2k inverter
6k diesel
8k weldor generator

/ More than one generator. #5  
One 5000 watt gas ready to hook into the house outlet - only kept for emergency. One 14 kw pto generator ready to hook into the house outlet - can also use that to drive up and down the neighborhood during a prolonged outage and re-freeze the neighbors' freezers as needed. One 1000 watt for use out of reach of the grid - although the latter will likely be replaced by an inverter attached to an independent second battery on my new Silverado when i get it installed. Think I got enough power?
mf

/ More than one generator. #6  
I have one...6750 or so I think...that's for the house. I have hauled it to the ranch but now have a propane unit out there that meets the needs of the bunkhouse.

/ More than one generator. #7  
After working on the single one that I have this weekend the thought of having a couple of more doesn't really appeal to me right now.

/ More than one generator.
I have the following:

8kw
5kw
1.6kw inverter
Bought in that order.
I had a 4kw and it would not start my well so I sold it. Of course the 1.6 kw will not either.
The 8kw is the main one for heavy load conditions. I bought the 5kw after realizing that the septic tank pump was even more important than the well. After all, who wants nasty brown fluid backing up into their house. This happened during hurricane Isabel, but just into the garage sink. Rain water was leaking into the septic tank.

The 5kw uses about 1/2 gallons of gas an hour and has a 6 gallon tank. The 8kw uses about 2/3 of a gallon an hour and has a 4.5 gallon tank. I tended to use the 5kw most and it will start the well if there are few other loads. It got run a lot.
Since gas can be difficult to get when the roads are blocked with trees wrapped in power lines and the gas stations are without power, I tend to try to conserve gasoline. Hence the recent purchase of the 1.6kw inverter generator. It uses a gallon in 9 hours at 25% load. I have found that the freezers and refrigators need to be run at least 12 hours a day and it is better to run them more. My plan is to use the 1.6 kw all night (it is very quiet) just for the frig and freezer. Also I have a solar hot water heater. It needs 40 watts from about 11am to 5 pm. I usually did not run the generators in the afternoon, but with the solar heater I need to. It seems a shame to use a big generator and 0.5 gallons an hour for 40 watts. If I am short of gasoline I would run the inverter most of the time and use the other generators to charge the well and drain the septic tank. I can probably get by on 2.5 gallons a day with a 20 hour run time. This sure beats 10 gallons per day.

/ More than one generator. #9  
I think I have 7. Largest is my Miller trailblazer and the smallest is a 2500 Katolight thats from the early 70s. My main one is a propane Winpower that is in the basement of the house. Others are in the 8 to 10 horse power range. I just kind of keep my ears open for people with generators that don't run or want to sell cheep and I pick them up. All of the extras are in dry storage awaiting the next ice storm when I will sell them off or give them away.

Dan D.

/ More than one generator. #10  
I have 2 gens.

A 2k Honda suitcase for the pellet stove, fridge, TV and computer/internet modem.

And a 4k Coleman for the water heater and well pump, which hasn't been actually put to the test yet.

Bob, you saying your 4k couldn't fire up your well ain't what I wanted to hear.

Any idea what your start up amps were on your well ?