More Weekend MOWING Tragedy

/ More Weekend MOWING Tragedy #22  
It's bad to be sitting on the top exterior of a big heavy object without any ROPS or shelter when it starts to roll. But it'd probably be much worse to be TIED there by a seatbelt. Maybe there's no practical opportunity to execute a strategic leap to safety, but, even so, getting thrown off probably improves your chances. Worst case, getting thrown might put you where the seat belt would have held you anyway.

/ More Weekend MOWING Tragedy #23  
ROPS up and seatbelt on always. Tractors and mowers. The ZD1211 weights over 1600 pounds. Not something easily lifted if it goes over. Also wearing the seatbelt makes for a smoother ride.

/ More Weekend MOWING Tragedy #24  
Yesterday I had a couple of guys here to do some cleanup and path clearing. There was a some what large 40 ft maple that had died along the one path, so we cut it; sure enough it pivoted slightly and hung up although it was cut clean through. No problem... I had my forks on the MX and raised them as high as I could and gave the tree a push; it swung over like a pendulum with the trunk going away from me and the top coming at me. I swear it happened in slow motion; I left the forks up and slid down in the seat and turned sideways so I wouldn't get squished. The tree settled on the rops and I didn't even get a scratch. God did me a solid yesterday...

/ More Weekend MOWING Tragedy #25  
Mowing fields with rough spots and a 10-foot rotary cutter behind... doesn't take too much imagination to think what would happen if a bump popped me out of the seat... then a 5-foot tire holds me down and the cutter makes sure I won't have an open casket funeral. I'm getting better at ALWAYS wearing my belt with the ROPS up.

... and I've been told to never push on a dead old tree with my bucket. Those logs at the top are more solid than the trunk.

/ More Weekend MOWING Tragedy #26  
Again, I'm fortunate. Relatively flat ground and only one type of tree. I've learned, after 40 years, how to safely fall a gigantic pine. I've had two kickbacks but I'm always far away when the "action" happens.

The accident - just really sad. It DOES look like a brand new mower.