Most useful implements?

/ Most useful implements? #91  
I've considered the brush grubber chain thing with rings but the reviews I've read are somewhat mixed. I typically wind my chain 3x around whatever I'm pulling; the end of the chain has a slip hook and I put that over the chain leading back to the tractor so that tension will tighten the chain on the tree/shrub.

This works great for me on everything except smaller multi-stalk shrubs, which I only have a few of, but nothing I've got other than a backhoe will handle them currently (it's the one spot on my land I'm considering herbicide!). I've tried using a webbing strap but that broke; I'm not sure how much stronger the brush grubber chains are as they look a bit smaller than my other chains.

I'd make my own but that spiky chain doesn't seem easy to buy; I'd like to hear if it works well... or doesn't.

/ Most useful implements? #92  
To preface this, I will be using a 21hp White/Iseki 4wd diesel tractor with suitcase weights on the front. No FEL. It has been a great tractor, my dad has had it for probably 20 years now. He runs a concrete business, and now has a healthy Takeuchi skid steer, no longer uses the tractor much. He also has a zero turn mower and doesn't use the tractor and finish mower much any more. Soon I'll be building a shed and bringing the tractor over to my house. I have an acre of land. I have a lot of trees to keep up with, I am begining to become pretty particular about my sod, I will eventually have a little grading to do here and there, I have some irrigation to install and keep up with, and I move a lot of heavy items around by myself. I make creative use of trailer, dollies, hand trucks, truck bed, etc. I also have several projects where I will need to set fence posts. I would suspect for the next 5 years or so I'll be leveling and top dressing the lawn with a sand/OM blend.

That's just a back story on the types of things I'll be doing. No farm, cows to give hay, etc.

I'm just curious what 3 PH implements you all find the most useful. Even my particular needs aside.

I plan to get a box scraper, landscaping rake, subsoiler (to pull pipe with), forks, dirt scoop, and a boom pole eventually. Keeping my eye out for things used until I have a real NEED for a particular piece. At which point I would maybe buy new.

I will need to rent a sod cutter occasionally. I wonder if there is a 3ph sod cutter attachment? I haven't found any.

I also may rent a post hole digger. I have a 2 stroke gas one but tractor driven would be easy!

What have you guys found REALLY useful? Especially something you might not think about.
The most useful implement is a front end loader. If you can’t afford that, then get a rear dirt scoop.

/ Most useful implements? #93  
Flail mower is the most used, followed by a front blade (snow plow) and 3PH snow blower.
I have a chipper too, also PTO driven. It gets only occasional use

/ Most useful implements?
The most useful implement is a front end loader. If you can’t afford that, then get a rear dirt scoop.
FEL on that tractor was never really am option. It seemed difficult to find something that will work, cost prohibitive, and my dad didn't want one on the tractor since it doesn't have power steering.

As this thread has progressed, though, I have bought a BX1880 with fel.

/ Most useful implements? #95  
I have two FEL kubotas, a b6100 and b8200. Neither has power steering. The b6100 actually seems to have higher steering effort in spite of the b8200 being much larger and heavier. I think that's partially down to the ATV tires im running on the front of the 6100. When i replaced the front tires I leaned ENTIRELY toward 4wd drive traction and cheapest price point over all other concerns. They are soft tires that flex a lot under heavy load and put a huge contact patch on the ground. The b8200 has regular 6-12 R1 front tires and steers much easier. I would consider something different for the b6100 if i were to pop one of these. As it is it is still reasonable to me, not much different than driving an old truck without power steering in that you just don't turn the wheel until you're starting to roll. One nice thing about having an FEL though is that if you actually need to turn the tires while standing still, you can just lift the front tires off the ground, spin the steering effortlessly, and then put the front back down and take off in your new direction. That's useful in some tight spaces.

/ Most useful implements?
Either way, I couldn't add a FEL to my dad's tractor if he didn't want me to, and there was the issue of even finding one. He told me I could take it and keep it at my place and use it as mine, but he also said he didn't really want a FEL on it with no power steering.

All moot, as I have the BX now.

While I didn't like going $20,000 into debt (tractor and trailer), and that would have bought all the implements I could want, it was "interest free" financing. The payment is quite reasonable and easy to manage, and I love my tractor. It's a good fit for what I do with it, for my property, and for the space I have to store it. I also like how light my implements are for it, and how easy they are to man handle if you ever need to.

Last edited:
   / Most useful implements? #97  
I think there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between the MOST USEFUL and the MOST USED, and the MOST TIME SAVING.

By far, my FEL is the most used,
next, my flail mower is the most useful,
and
the landplane is the most time saving.

/ Most useful implements? #98  
I almost never use my grapple.
Then again this afternoon I used it to move very heavy 8 ft. or longer large limbs (big ones, barely fit in grapple) and then bunch of smaller limbs and brush down over hillside into the woods. It took less than 2 hours.
Otherwise it would have been a real chore, probably torn up the pasture dragging them or other method.
I wouldn't want to buy an attachment for one project. I sure wished I had all this stuff growing up, doing jobs faster, better, easier.

/ Most useful implements? #99  
I found that TIME was the best indicator of implements I needed. I have a mile long gravel driveway, 80 acres, snow, stands of pines. I started with a brand new Ford 1700 4WD - FEL with bucket and a rear blade. This was in 1982 when we moved down from Alaska.

As I moved around the property - the smaller project were completed. Then in 2009 I traded the Ford for a brand new Kubota M6040. I'm still working on the larger projects. I've found that a grapple on the Kubota has been very useful. I have a Wallenstein chipper to chip all the small pines. I annually thin my pine stands and chip all the trees I've thinned out.

I have a very HD land plane grading scraper. This along with my heavy rear blade is what I use to maintain my driveway.

I've been out here in the sticks - 40 years now. It's been a good life.

/ Most useful implements? #100  
I used the backhoe the most so far and the
bucket on the front. I use the thumb on the
backhoe to carry all the cedar branches to
the big pile in the back and also for moving
some big rocks. Moving cactus from the
front to the back in a big pile along with the
cedar. Next in line I will start using the tiller
then the brushhog
Used the backhoe to dig a couple hundred
foot trench for my water line to my shed and
put a hydrant near tje garage. Nothing but