Motor oil and other fuel additives

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #41  
I've been running straight diesel from the pumps for 24 years and 200k+ miles on my wee little 65 hp 4 cylinder Benz. A couple times in its life, it pinged at constant speed (about 40-50 mph). Put some Chevron Techron diesel additive in it. Second time was when the diesel fuel was 4 1/2 years old and a bit tan in color from the car being in storage while we lived in Singapore.

ATF wouldn't be TOO awful bad, as its a cut of lube oil that gets dumped into diesel by refiners if there isn't enough demand for ATF. However, anything heavier, and you're risking some possible carboning up in the combustion chambers. Why though? ATF is more expensive than diesel. Doesn't make sense. A LOT more refinery processing went into that ATF, all wasted by just burning it.

Got some Powerservice additive and have used it a few times in the diesel (ULSD now) I put in my little 18.5 hp 4010, now at about 220 hours. However, I don't think it necessary and will probably quit buying the stuff. I haven't bothered using it since ULSD became available. Don't need it for pour depression around here. If still in NJ or VT, I'd use it for the pour depression or just add some kero in the winter like I used to up there.

As far as ULSD goes, they should have done it years ago so that we could have more diesel vehicles available to us, and IT DOESN'T STINK. That's why I've still that 24 year old Benz. Ain't ANYTHING to replace it yet (stick shift, cab-spec vehicle). No replacement for my wee little truck either, one that'll get at least 27 mpg on average like it. Hoping to replace both the Benz and the truck with ones that'll do 40 mpg and hopefully diesel and stick shift. Wife can't drive an automatic.

Ralph

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #42  
A friend of mine put 650 on his 6.5 Suburban. When I asked what the secret was , he said tranny fluid in the fuel tank every so often.

I couldn't argue with the results, have I ever done it - nope.

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #43  
here we go again;

If a below freezing hard start/no start has been verified it may be caused by fuel contamination, poor fuel quality, fuel gelling, or fuel waxing.
Open the fuel filter drain and get a large fuel sample out of the fuel filter. If water is found in the fuel system it may be the cause of the no start or hard start condition. The water in the fuel tank will freeze and restrict the fuel flow. During the hard start/no start condition monitor the fuel system vacuum readings to diagnose the concern. Normal fuel system readings when cranking are 1 to 2 inches Hg (in/Hg) of vacuum. A frozen restricted fuel system can reach 10 in/Hg of vacuum or higher while cranking.
If no water is found in the fuel system check the fuel API reading with the Kent-Moore J38641-B. The fuel API on winter blend fuels is approximately 35 to 44 depending on the location of the vehicle. Fuel APIs below 35 to 44 (summer blend) would have a higher possibility of waxing. Monitor the fuel system vacuum readings to diagnose the concern. Normal fuel system readings when cranking are 1 to 2 in/Hg of vacuum. A waxed/gelled fuel system can reach 10 in/Hg of vacuum or higher while cranking.

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #44  
and now this;
Important: The use of diesel fuel additives is not required or recommended for the 6.5L diesel or the 6.6L Duramax® Diesel engine under normal conditions. The filtering system is designed to block water and contaminants without the use of additives. However, some customers may desire to use fuel additives to improve the characteristics of available diesel fuels.
Water Emulsifiers and Demulsifiers

If the customer desires to use a fuel additive, care must be taken in its selection. There are two common methods that fuel additives use to cope with water in the fuel.
One method is through demulsification of water in the fuel. This method causes water particles to combine together to form larger particles, which drop out of suspension. This allows the fuel filter/water separator to separate the water from the fuel as it is designed to.
The other method of coping with water in the fuel is through emulsification. This method, often using alcohol as the emulsifier, keeps water particles suspended in the fuel. Emulsification of water in the fuel can allow water to get past the fuel filter/water separator, in most cases causing damage to the fuel system. Only alcohol free water demulsifiers should be used in General Motors diesel engines. GM Diesel Fuel Conditioner®, P/N 88861009 (in Canada, 88861038) or both *Racor Power Shot Plus® and *Stanadyne® diesel fuel additives are alcohol free and utilize water demulsifiers to cope with water in the fuel. Other brands may be available in different areas; be sure that they clearly state that they are alcohol free demulsifiers before use.
*We believe these sources and their products to be reliable. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.
Common Diesel Fuel Concerns

Fuel Waxing/Icing

Fuel distributors blend #1 and #2 diesel fuels for seasonal requirements in a particular region. No other blending of fuels is recommended. However, a customer may desire to use a winter fuel additive to prevent fuel waxing or icing during extreme cold snaps. If a winter fuel additive is to be used, it should not contain alcohol or other water emulsifiers that may compromise the water removal effectiveness of the fuel filtering system.
Bacteria and Fungi Growth

Bacteria and fungi growth can occur in diesel fuel when there is water present, especially during warmer weather. The best prevention against bacteria and fungi growth is to use clean fuel that is free of water. There are diesel fuel biocides available that are designed to kill bacterial growth in the fuel system. However, the dead bacteria can still cause blockages throughout the fuel system. If bacterial growth is found in the fuel system, the proper method of removal is to flush the fuel system using Service Manual procedures, replace the fuel filter element and refill the tank with clean diesel fuel. If a customer desires to use a biocide after flushing the fuel system, it should not contain alcohol or other water emulsifiers.
Low Cetane Number

The cetane number is one indicator of a diesel fuel's ability to ignite. There are many indicators of overall fuel quality such as cleanliness, specific gravity, volatility, viscosity, detergency, corrosion inhibiting abilities, and lubricity. Increasing the cetane number alone is not a fix for poor quality fuel. Additionally, increasing the cetane number beyond the engine's requirements will not increase performance. However, the cetane number of diesel fuel is not always consistent and some customers may desire to use a cetane improver to ensure full performance of their engine. If such an additive is to be used, it must not contain alcohol or other water emulsifiers.
Poor Lubricity

The 6.5L diesel and the 6.6L Duramax® Diesel engines are designed to operate on today's low sulfur fuel without the use of additives. A fuel additive designed to increase lubricity is not a fix for poor quality or contaminated fuel, but some customers may desire to use a lubricity additive to aid in the longevity of their fuel system components. If such an additive is to be used, it must not contain alcohol or other water emulsifiers.
Fuel Source Issue

If a vehicle is properly maintained but has fuel contamination issues, consider obtaining fuel from a different source. Purchasing fuel from a high volume fuel retailer increases the chance that the fuel is fresh and of good quality.

thats not my thoughts thats the engineers thoughts

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #45  
nosliw said:
if you guys like PS, that's great. i happen to not.

im confused????

In March you said you would be staying with PS???

03-09-2006, 04:10 PM § #30
nosliw
Diesel Fanatic

nosliw's Garage

thanks

looks like ill be staying with my PS!

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives
hmm.. having a hard time finding that thread using the search function....

if in the context of that thread i was referring to PowerService than it was before i did much research. but that doesn't make sense to me, because i think (thought) i've been using the stuff longer than that.

when using the "search all of members posts" thing it doesnt let me go back that far. give me a link if you can.

DUH! it was in that thread i gave YOU guys :D

yep, i was wrong. didn't know all there was to know (still don't, but know more)

i think i only used like 1 or 2 bottles of that stuff. didn't help with injector balance rates, either. which didn't make sense to me at the time (still don't)

dunno,

but i just filled up my truck with 64oz of 2stroke oil, 9oz of stanadyne and a little diesel ;)

workinallthetime said:
The 6.5L diesel and the 6.6L Duramax® Diesel engines are designed to operate on today's low sulfur fuel without the use of additives.

HAH!!!

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #49  
RalphVa said:
No replacement for my wee little truck either, one that'll get at least 27 mpg on average like it.
What sort of truck is that, Ralph? I want one!

/ Motor oil and other fuel additives #50  
nosliw said:
DUH! it was in that thread i gave YOU guys :D

yep, i was wrong. didn't know all there was to know (still don't, but know more)

That is what I figured :D :D I was givin ya a hard time :p I was reading through the thread on DP and noticed the green Biodiesel avatar. BTW im a member over there as well:D :D Just to many forums to keep up with :rolleyes:

Last edited: