mott/alamo flail mower repair question

/ mott/alamo flail mower repair question #1  

synergy

Tractor
l4240 Kubota
Hello
I have an older flail Its a bit over 6'

It was sitting in a cemetery for some good time.

I have attached some photos and Im really not sure if It will be worth it to get this thing going.
the main gear does not spin it doesn't budge at all - the flail spins fine and so does the roller

when I took of the drain plugs for the gear it seemed to have some frost and frozen substance in there (didnt seem good) I also took of the small plate on the back of the gear and Im really not sure where to start.
Should I take of the main gear cover? to see whats goin on in there
also the shaft that comes out of the gearbox that goes to the belt pulleys has a hole in it that seems like it is for grease but im not sure i dont see a grease valve there

I posted some picture previously and got some good suggestions. Flailmaster and memebers here were helpful in identifying the unit which I wasnt sure about also
once I can get the flail to spin or identify the issue I can then order all the parts to get her running smooth (Hopefully!)

Thank You! 20131201_150558.jpg20131201_150555.jpg20131201_145729.jpg20131201_145716.jpg20131201_145708.jpg20131201_145638.jpg20131201_145626.jpg20131201_145622.jpg20131201_150558.jpg20131201_150555.jpg20131201_145729.jpg20131201_145716.jpg20131201_145708.jpg20131201_145638.jpg20131201_145626.jpg20131201_145622.jpg

/ mott/alamo flail mower repair question #2  
Hello
I have an older flail Its a bit over 6'

It was sitting in a cemetery for some good time.

I have attached some photos and Im really not sure if It will be worth it to get this thing going.
the main gear does not spin it doesn't budge at all - the flail spins fine and so does the roller

when I took of the drain plugs for the gear it seemed to have some frost and frozen substance in there (didnt seem good) I also took of the small plate on the back of the gear and Im really not sure where to start.
Should I take of the main gear cover? to see whats goin on in there
also the shaft that comes out of the gearbox that goes to the belt pulleys has a hole in it that seems like it is for grease but im not sure i dont see a grease valve there

I posted some picture previously and got some good suggestions. Flailmaster and memebers here were helpful in identifying the unit which I wasnt sure about also
once I can get the flail to spin or identify the issue I can then order all the parts to get her running smooth (Hopefully!)

Thank You!View attachment 348513View attachment 348514View attachment 348515View attachment 348516View attachment 348517View attachment 348518View attachment 348519View attachment 348520View attachment 348513View attachment 348514View attachment 348515View attachment 348516View attachment 348517View attachment 348518View attachment 348519View attachment 348520

OK hold up there!!

1.Drain the old oil and water out of the gear box and if posssible flush
the gearbox with a little kerosene or gasoline.

2. Please put the rear access plat eback on, BUT not before you put a
new gasket on it or the liqiud form a gasket.

3. The cross shaft will have a grease fitting in it to permit you to grease it
as it is greases a spline stub shaft.

4. you need a new PTO shaft to be able to spin the gears.

5. also buy a new kevlar(green) drive belt for it as well.

/ mott/alamo flail mower repair question
Thank you for the good avice, will do

question should i be able to spin the gear on the side by turning the pulley?
It doesnt move at all, could be because its frozen in the gear box? But I tried a few weeks ago when I purchase it and the same thing it didnt move at all and the teperature was above freezing 50's)

I am going to put in an order at flailmaster to get the belt (see if they have the kevlar one) and new flails and some other small things

thanks for the help

/ mott/alamo flail mower repair question #4  
Looks like my Mott 72, I believe there also was a 74 depending on type of cutter shaft. (72 was fine cut) Yes the shaft should turn freely at the pulley, as suggested flush gear box and see if it will free up.

/ mott/alamo flail mower repair question #5  
Trying to turn the drive pulley by hand with the belt on is difficult at best. Take the belt off and try again. Those gear boxes are pretty tough and unless it was run without oil for a protracted period of time it should still be serviceable.

No skid plates = Mott.

/ mott/alamo flail mower repair question #6  
Hole in shaft is for grease zerk when you turn the drive shaft to the right spot. Wait to buy the belt until you find the gearbox isn't damaged. If the gearbox had much water in it frozen be prepared for some trouble. They're a sturdy unit but not made to freeze up.
Jim

/ mott/alamo flail mower repair question
Thanks
So far so good its moving
Will flush the gearbox out with diesel fuel
Could I leave diesel fuel in there for a week to give it a good cleaninv before I put new oil in the gearbox??

The mower is 72" cutting width but end to end outside its 76" so would it be a 72 or 76 " model....

I'm homing the pto shaft from mh brush hog will fit to this..or I may need to order another
I am going to ge t the quick hitches also to make it easier to connect and disconnect different implements

And lastly need to order an ansung loader I'm thinking for the l4240 kubota

Thanks

/ mott/alamo flail mower repair question #8  
If you have gasoline but kerosene is better it would be better
and you would only need to leave it over night +-

The mower is a 72 inch unit.

/ mott/alamo flail mower repair question #9  
OK hold up there!!

1.Drain the old oil and water out of the gear box and if posssible flush
the gearbox with a little kerosene or gasoline.

2. Please put the rear access plat eback on, BUT not before you put a
new gasket on it or the liqiud form a gasket.

3. The cross shaft will have a grease fitting in it to permit you to grease it
as it is greases a spline stub shaft.

4. you need a new PTO shaft to be able to spin the gears.

5. also buy a new kevlar(green) drive belt for it as well.
What would be the manufacturer and part number on a kevlar drive belt? I have a SHD74 and have gone through 2 belts this summer.

/ mott/alamo flail mower repair question #10  
What would be the manufacturer and part number of a kevlar or better than oem drive belt? Ive gone through 2 belts this summer