Mounting a Fire Extinguisher

/ Mounting a Fire Extinguisher #21  
Nope, just replied to the next post. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Mounting a Fire Extinguisher #22  
On all vehicles I like to mount one that you can get to easily from the cab/seat and one that you can get to from the ground.

While I have not heard too many stories about tractors catching on fire, I have heard of fires under the dash board of pickup trucks. This may be the day you regret having the only fire Extinguisher under the dash.

Fred

/ Mounting a Fire Extinguisher #23  
>quote: I also have an ext in the house ( in a decorative box marked extinguisher) in the kitchen. The barn has an extinguisher mounted on one of the support posts, as well as an extinguisher and 1st aid kit just inside the attached garage hooked to the barn.<

I think firemen would agree 90 ish percent of fires at home are kitchen related. We keep a smaller halitron extinguisher there- it leaves no residue. Last fire was due to unattended toasting almonds under the broiler on Thanksgiving. I know baking soda works too but as a consumable i dont think it too wise to rely on having it when needed- unless you paint the box red and nail it to the wall /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
If you own aircooled VW's Id have two or three extinguishers in the garage for the occasional car-b-q. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mounting a Fire Extinguisher #24  
I did search the forums but the word Extinguisher yielded no results, which I find hard to beleive.

Anyway, it seems like an extinguisher would be a good thing to have on the tractor, so I have two questions:

1. What is the best kind of extinguisher for tractor duty
2. Any good mounting ideas?

Seeing as how most run on diesel.. Something rated for electrical would work. while field mowing for a customer last year.. I could have used one.. Well.. I had one and completely spaced out when this happened..

/ Mounting a Fire Extinguisher #25  
I did search the forums but the word Extinguisher yielded no results, which I find hard to beleive.

Anyway, it seems like an extinguisher would be a good thing to have on the tractor, so I have two questions:

1. What is the best kind of extinguisher for tractor duty
2. Any good mounting ideas?

This is where I mounted mine at. The screen is home made, but I was able to bolt the bracket for the FE right onto the expanded metal. Works good, lasts long time!

DSC02333.JPG

/ Mounting a Fire Extinguisher #26  
Looks like a nice setup Kebo.

ABC type fire extinguishers always handy to have since they pretty well cover most problems.

Get some kind of boot oil or preservative on that mallet holder and it should last a long longer. Leather will dry rot even parked in the shop and your going to get some vibrations and what not stressing that leather. No need to loose or run over a good tool.

/ Mounting a Fire Extinguisher #27  
It may feel good to have one, but a 3lb dry chemical fire extinguisher is not much use, beyond a very small fast response kitchen fire.

Engine, or electrical fires on vehicles, may involve intense heat. Unless you can completely overwhelm it, that heat will reignite the fire, as fast as you put it out.

I have seen a 10lb ABC, completely fail on a hot engine fire.

/ Mounting a Fire Extinguisher #28  
Something else to think about - I've been "at the scene" of three vehicle fires. Two pickups and one auto. The pickups had extinguishers mounted in the cab - above and behind the rear seats ---- the auto had the extinguisher under the drivers seat. All three were engine fires - in all three incidents the passengers made it out safely. In all three - the extinguisher was forgotten as the passengers exited the vehicles. In all three - there was ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE to re-enter the vehicle and retrieve the extinguisher.

Makes no matter what type, size or where the extinguisher is - if its not in your hand as you exit the burning vehicle --- chances are about 100% that it never will be.

/ Mounting a Fire Extinguisher #29  
I will gladly take the option for a slim chance of a fire extinguisher being of use versus the the choice of NO chance without one :)

/ Mounting a Fire Extinguisher #30  
NO,no - Redlands Okie - - you miss my point. An A,B,C extinguisher can be put to good use on an engine fire. Just give SERIOUS thought on where to hang it. Does nobody any good if it can't be gotten to..........