Mouse poop? Bat poop? What else looks like mouse poop?

/ Mouse poop? Bat poop? What else looks like mouse poop? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
At the airport where I keep my old plane we get poop all over the hangars, on top of the planes, on top of trash barrels, almost everywhere, except where items are sheltered from above, such as under the wings. Some say mice, some say bats. Since I find it on top of the trash barrel, I doubt it's mice since the barrel is about 30" high. I have watched and have never seen a bat in the hangar. Roof is corrugated and I am told bats will roost in the corrugations above the rafters, but still, I have looked and never seen one.

We also get tree frogs in the hangar, but these little guys are only about 1 1/2" long and the poop looks too big for them.

So far, 20 years, no mice in my plane.

Any ideas?

/ Mouse poop? Bat poop? What else looks like mouse poop? #2  
Get some mice for your plane?!:laughing:
Squirrels? Set some traps and see what you catch.
Bats are nocturnal, have you looked at night?
What do other plane owners say is in the hangars?
If bats they might be keeping the area mouse free?

/ Mouse poop? Bat poop? What else looks like mouse poop? #3  
I have one that lives in a light in my garage....only seen him a couple times about dusk, but there are droppings on the floor under the light fairly regularly. I leave them alone as those droppings used to be mosquitoes !

/ Mouse poop? Bat poop? What else looks like mouse poop? #4  
Get some mice for your plane?!:laughing:
Squirrels? Set some traps and see what you catch.
Bats are nocturnal, have you looked at night?
What do other plane owners say is in the hangars?
If bats they might be keeping the area mouse free?

/ Mouse poop? Bat poop? What else looks like mouse poop? #6  
Bats.

/ Mouse poop? Bat poop? What else looks like mouse poop? #7  
Those tree frogs leave droppings about 1/8 to 1/4" diameter, maybe 1/2" long. Get a lot of that around our windows and outdoor lights in summer, where the frogs hang out to catch bugs.

/ Mouse poop? Bat poop? What else looks like mouse poop? #8  
Fly larvae look exactly like mouse droppings. They are usually in concealed areas though.

/ Mouse poop? Bat poop? What else looks like mouse poop? #9  
At the airport where I keep my old plane we get poop all over the hangars, on top of the planes, on top of trash barrels, almost everywhere, except where items are sheltered from above, such as under the wings. Some say mice, some say bats. Since I find it on top of the trash barrel, I doubt it's mice since the barrel is about 30" high. I have watched and have never seen a bat in the hangar. Roof is corrugated and I am told bats will roost in the corrugations above the rafters, but still, I have looked and never seen one.

We also get tree frogs in the hangar, but these little guys are only about 1 1/2" long and the poop looks too big for them.

So far, 20 years, no mice in my plane.

Any ideas?

Pilot, maybe this link will help. Black/Brown Droppings Don't discount the ability of mice to defy gravity when they're intent on it. 30" to the top of a trash barrel sounds quite doable. They'll also climb textured wall surfaces (rough wood and certainly masonry) then drop down, or jump from shelves and adjacent surfaces. We have a few field mice in our barn, and it's amazing what they can get into. I just let them be, and try to keep things I don't want them in sealed up. As my granddad used to say when I was little, "Boy, they gotta' eat too." So do the black rat snakes in the summer, so things tend to even out. :)