Moving Cross Country - Questions

/ Moving Cross Country - Questions #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
I accepted a three-year long job opportunity and will be moving cross country from Virginia to New Mexico. We’ll be renting out our eight acre horse property in Virginia and moving into a subdivision home in New Mexico. I noticed there’s no grass in New Mexico, so the question arises of what to do with my two-year-old John Deere X590 with 110hrs. Sell it, leave it for my renters, or bring it with me to New Mexico and store it for three years until we move back? Would it be a liability to let renters use it?

Also, I bought a new 14ft PJ utility trailer earlier this year and will be towing it cross country. Do I need to do anything special to it before the long trip? It only has a couple hundred miles on it since new.

Thanks!

/ Moving Cross Country - Questions #2  
Take 2 spare tires just in case.IMHO I would keep the JDX590.Never leave anything nice for renters to tear up.

/ Moving Cross Country - Questions #3  
The tractor is very likely to not be in the condition you left it when you return. The frustration and expense of repairing it can add up fast. Take it with you, put a battery maintenance charger, do wha you can to keep it out of the weather. The cost to move and perhaps store it will be worth it I suspect.
And yes their is liability when others use it.

/ Moving Cross Country - Questions #4  
Depending on what part of NM you're moving to, you may want the Deere and a blade for snow removal. I wouldn't leave it behind. Take it with you. On the trailer, make sure the tires are good, and aired up, and bring a spare.

/ Moving Cross Country - Questions #5  
I don't think reality has set in... it's a lawn mower! Yeah, I know, its and expensive and well made mower, but nonetheless, a lawn mower.

My guess is that putting it in mothballs for 3 years would not be good. I'm thinking I'd sell it and buy a new one if/when you move back to Virginia. Besides, that would also mean that you don't have to haul it halfway across the US.

Hopefully I'm not too brutal with my comment.

/ Moving Cross Country - Questions #6  
I don't think reality has set in... it's a lawn mower! Yeah, I know, its and expensive and well made mower, but nonetheless, a lawn mower.

My guess is that putting it in mothballs for 3 years would not be good. I'm thinking I'd sell it and buy a new one if/when you move back to Virginia. Besides, that would also mean that you don't have to haul it halfway across the US.

Hopefully I'm not too brutal with my comment.

Not a brutal comment. Sell it, put it behind you. Moving across the street costs you a lot of money.

/ Moving Cross Country - Questions #7  
I accepted a three-year long job opportunity and will be moving cross country from Virginia to New Mexico. We’ll be renting out our eight acre horse property in Virginia and moving into a subdivision home in New Mexico. I noticed there’s no grass in New Mexico, so the question arises of what to do with my two-year-old John Deere X590 with 110hrs. Sell it, leave it for my renters, or bring it with me to New Mexico and store it for three years until we move back? Would it be a liability to let renters use it?

Also, I bought a new 14ft PJ utility trailer earlier this year and will be towing it cross country. Do I need to do anything special to it before the long trip? It only has a couple hundred miles on it since new.

Thanks!

DO NOT leave the JD for the renters to wreck!
Do not take it with you!
Sell it before you move!
Buy a new mower when you come back!

/ Moving Cross Country - Questions #8  
I would also sell it. Less to worry about in 3 years...who knows where you will be.

/ Moving Cross Country - Questions #9  
Letting equipment sit for 3 years is not optimal. I recommend selling.

****, at a list price of $8100, that must be one **** of a lawn mower.

/ Moving Cross Country - Questions #10  
If you take it with you, the dry NM climate will keep it from deteriorating too bad, as long as the sun stays off of it and rodents don’t chew on it.