Mower Deck Parts

/ Mower Deck Parts
Thanks to those folks that helped me get the bearings changed on my 46" 35 year old mower. It was more of a project than I had planned to be honest. However it's all finished and fired it up today. Mower ran nice and smooth so it was a worth while project. Hopefully now the mower will out last the owner! lol

/ Mower Deck Parts #12  
Did you press the shaft through or were you able to extract the pulleys w/o damage?

/ Mower Deck Parts
Did you press the shaft through or were you able to extract the pulleys w/o damage?
I removed the 3 spindles and worked them on the shop bench. Had to cut (grind) off the bolts holding the spindles to the deck as they were completely rusted and snaped off. Damaged 1 pulley and purchased another new one. If I had a bearing press it would have made the job much much easier. If I ever did it again I'd buy or rent a bearing press for sure. I froze the spindle shafts (-9F) and heated the bearing to 200F. Even doing that it was a real ***** and damaged some shaft threads. Had to take them to a machine shop which fixed the threads so I was able to salvage them. I think the key to doing the job much better and eaiser is having a small bearing press. At least it's done and I learned a lot doing this project. FYI complete spindles are still availabe at almost 300 bucks a piece! NO WAY I was spending almost a grand replacing them! lol Yes I'm cheap.
deck1.jpg

/ Mower Deck Parts #14  
I dunno about cheap, but persistent you've got covered! Thanks for the reply.