Mower deck wash ?

/ Mower deck wash ? #21  
My atv has seen more water and swamps then dirt, has 7000 miles on it, and has the original bearings... people really over exaggerate bearing failure.
And I do repairs on ATV's and the like every year with far less miles than yours with mud inside of axle shafts, mud inside of differentials, An I have done more than a few differential rebuilds which even required ring and pinion replacement because the spline inside of the ring gear had been rusted out allowing the axle spline to slip on the ring gear spline.

Talk to your local ATV shops about having to rebuild differentials on less than 30 days old units with the bearings out.

/ Mower deck wash ? #22  
That 'deck' wash feature is flinging water at high velocity right into the spindles that have marginal seals at best in the first place and I bet when you are done 'deck washing' it, you put it away so the spindle innards that are wet, never have a chance to dry out.

Terrible option but in a another way a good one, because you'll be replacing spindles alot. Both my zero turns have it and I've never used it and never will.

/ Mower deck wash ? #23  
That 'deck' wash feature is flinging water at high velocity right into the spindles that have marginal seals at best in the first place and I bet when you are done 'deck washing' it, you put it away so the spindle innards that are wet, never have a chance to dry out.

Terrible option but in a another way a good one, because you'll be replacing spindles alot. Both my zero turns have it and I've never used it and never will.

if 10+ years is a lot, guess you got me, mine are still good, and get washed at least once a week. but thanks for let me know

/ Mower deck wash ? #24  
if 10+ years is a lot, guess you got me, mine are still good, and get washed at least once a week. but thanks for let me know
I will say I did use it ONE TIME years ago when they were new and all I got was 'grass cud' in the driveway I had to clean up.

/ Mower deck wash ? #25  
I will say I did use it ONE TIME years ago when they were new and all I got was 'grass cud' in the driveway I had to clean up.
LOL, what did you think it was going to do? magically disappear?

/ Mower deck wash ? #27  
It has because I never used it again.
Think about how much money you saved on spindles over the years..... prolly could buy a new tractor with all the cost savings.

/ Mower deck wash ? #28  
And you believe a video where the guy drills a hole in the spindle housing for a weep hole that can allow water and other contamination inside the housing. Drives the shaft out with a hammer, and I know for a fact with that spindle the shaft is now bent. And then plies the seal out that easily and you think that grease can't get past it. And then says the overfilling will press the bearing out. maybe if he hadn't removed the inner seals, but in this case it now pops the outer seal out and create more issues than he fixed. And the housing doesn't have to be full of grease to do it. Just the resulting air pressure increase will pop out the seals. And then proceeds to tap the bearing back in with hammer where any body that sells bearings will tell you is a no-no because it can cause flat spots on the balls.

Murray conducted testing years ago where they put one color grease in the housing and another in the bearings, and then ran them for several hours and then removed the bearings from the housing and disassembled the bearings and determined that the two greases had mixed because the grease inside the bearing was a corresponding color of the two mixed greases.
Hmmmm, I got 650 hours on my X300 JD. I have gotten about 300 hours with my spindles then have to replace them. If the bearings are sealed then what good is the grease I put in the housing, just asking. I do rinse under my deck often, is that my downfall ? What is the best way to maintain my spindles? Thanks

/ Mower deck wash ? #29  
Wow, good thing we are not talking politics here or this thread would go on for 3 pages, OH wait is has !

/ Mower deck wash ? #30  
Have any of you folks installed a mower deck wash ? Does it work well ?

No need for "deck wash" installation with these type mowers.

IMG_2717.jpg

PS. This was a photo of new replacement deck shell been installed and the rear middle "anti scalp" wheels were installed right after this photo was taken!

Last edited: