Mower lift pins always coming loose? Suggestions?

/ Mower lift pins always coming loose? Suggestions? #1  

charosenz

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD4520, also (sold) 2008 JD 3203 with 300cx loader
I have a Titan 1206 Mower that I use with my JD 4520. I use Cat1 pins. The problem is that the lift pins on the mower are always coming loose. The mower holes are 0.9" and the Mower A fram arms are 1.3" I use a bushing in the A frame holes to reduce it down so the Cat1 pins will be tight. I use locktite and lock washers. The pins still come loose.

I thought about using Cat 2 pins, but of course I would have to drill out the holes in the mower to fit the large Cat2 pins. I am not sure this is the solution. See pics please

Attachments

• brush hog pin out.jpg
    brush hog pin out.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 160
  • brush hog pin in.jpg
    brush hog pin in.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 163
   / Mower lift pins always coming loose? Suggestions? #2  
Can you get pins with a longer thread section? Double nut and lock her up. It's the only thought I have to offer..

/ Mower lift pins always coming loose? Suggestions?
Can you get pins with a longer thread section? Double nut and lock her up. It's the only thought I have to offer..
I have not see any. I think with the two different size holes there is just too much play in there to stop it from wobbling. But maybe that is the intention of the design to allow movement. I might try to call Titan.....But It always helps to hear from real world end users than the factory sales folks if you know what I mean.

/ Mower lift pins always coming loose? Suggestions? #4  
Lock washers ? The split type ? Throw them away. Under heavy clamp load they can open at the split. I used to walk rr tracks and found many broken split washers used to bolt rails end to end. Use hardened flat washers for the wallowed holes and loctite with primer on clean threads. Torque to spec.

Other option is to throw a bit of weld on the pin and nut. I did that years ago.

/ Mower lift pins always coming loose? Suggestions? #5  
Had similar problem on 286 bushog. Couple of small welds on the pin shoulder fixed that. There it’s easy to cut if I needed to replace the pin.

Lock washers ? The split type ? Throw them away. Under heavy clamp load they can open at the split. I used to walk rr tracks and found many broken split washers used to bolt rails end to end. Use hardened flat washers for the wallowed holes and loctite with primer on clean threads. Torque to spec.

Other option is to throw a bit of weld on the pin and nut. I did that years ago.
I am seriously thinking of spot welding the pins on. (I do use Loctite). I am going to look for hardened washers too.

I am really wondering about the fact that the mower A frame arms are 1.3 while the mower support arms are only 0.9". Is this common?

Had similar problem on 286 bushog. Couple of small welds on the pin shoulder fixed that. There it’s easy to cut if I needed to replace the pin.
Thanks. Makes me lean that way....

/ Mower lift pins always coming loose? Suggestions? #9  
On my kodiak brush hog the right pin comes loose but never the other one, I am going to double nut and try that

/ Mower lift pins always coming loose? Suggestions? #10  
I agree that a little welding is the easiest thing. One thing that’s sometimes done for wallowed holes in general is to take a thick washer with the correct ID and weld that over the wallowed hole. Maybe one on each side if you had threads to spare on the fastener. Of course its slightly more complicated to come up with a washer that size on a big hole like this than on smaller holes.